Funny, long, or just plain weird animal names

I’m gonna throw in some plant names, because I once made a very short list of plant names that sound like punk bands (and also to smash the oppressive system of rampant kingdomism going on in this thread):
*Spikenard (Nardostachys jatamansi)
*Broomrape (Orobanchaceae)
*Sticky Willy (Galium aparine).

2 Likes

Here you go i have a list of 480 some species.
https://www.inaturalist.org/lists/940186-wierd-names

2 Likes

Forgot me. https://www.inaturalist.org/lists/940186-wierd-names

1 Like

Unequal cellophane bee

3 Likes

one of my earlier moth observations on iNat where i think I got schooled. They really put the xest in life ;)

1 Like

I feel like this would be another punk-flavored Les Claypool project…follow up to Fearless Flying Frog Brigade perhaps?

I’ve always liked Aaadonta and Zyzzyxdonta, 2 genera of tropical land snails described in the same publication. They look rather different and the original description states: “It was thought appropriate that their names be as widely separated as their scultpure.”

Ittibittium gives me a chuckle too.

4 Likes

The markings on the wing do look like the Hebrew letter nun (נ). <-- This font doesn’t do the similarity justice.

2 Likes

First that came to mind is the ‘Alien Butt Spider’ [Araneus praesignis]. A decent photo is here.

7 Likes

Before clicking, I was wondering if something with that name would have a butt that looked like ia xenomorph’s head…or a butt that looked like a xenomorph’s tail.
Turns out it’s much cuter.

4 Likes

Before I clicked on it, I was wondering how people thought they knew what an alien’s butt looked like. Now I see that the spider’s butt resembles and alien face.

4 Likes

You’re right, it’s very definitely the face of an alien because we’ve all been brought up to know what their faces look like : ) Possibly the ‘butt’ in the name refers to the butt of the spider.

Aw man, someone already brought up Great Tits. It’s been my fav, since it’s one of the few times you get to see a wiki photo titled ‘a pair of Great Tits’ (at least last I saw).

• Tufted Titmouse.
  • Astilbe, which a dear relative of mine insists on pronouncing ‘Ass-tube’. I don’t know why. I only learned how to pronounce it correctly just recently.
  • Obi-wan Conobea
  • Dutchman’s Breeches
  • Changeable Mantleslug
  • Handsome Fungus Beetle
  • Batman Moth
  • Ambiguous Moth
  • Lesser Vagabond Sod Webworm Moth
  • Humped Beewolf
  • Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (it’s just fun to say)

a bunch of others I’m forgetting about

3 Likes

Neat! The first observation I put on iNat was an Old Man of the Woods. I wondered what the weird looking mushroom was so I searched for a way to identify it and discovered iNaturalist.

4 Likes

I made an observation today of a little flower I thought was beautiful and elegant.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/48861776

Turns out that beautiful flower’s not so elegant name is “Turkey Tangle Frogfruit.”

7 Likes

More terrifying that funny. I recently discovered there’s something called the Bold Jumping Spider.

3 Likes

I have bold jumping spiders that hang around my veg plots. So handsome!

1 Like

Dog Poop Bush Ebenopsis confinis

2 Likes

Trainwrecker mushroom

1 Like

I’ve always been fond of the Imperial Shag.

3 Likes