Gauging interest for fly (Diptera, maybe other taxa) identifying parties

Yep! I have it set to automatically record and save to my computer.

1 Like

Thatā€™s great news. Look forward to itā€¦ and thanks for your willingness and enthusiasm to help.

1 Like

@pbedell Glad to see you can make it on the 29th as well! I noticed you joined the meeting this morning ;)

This might change as we get closer to the 29th, but so far I plan on being at the main session! Thanks for organizing this.

1 Like

Remember, itā€™ll be recorded, and hopefully weā€™ll do it more than once, so no pressure.

Looking forward to attending the meeting. Thank you for all your hard work!

1 Like

Iā€™m very interested in learning how to better ID syrphids and other flies. Thanks for organizing this! August 29th from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m EST works for me :)

1 Like

10 minutes until the meeting!

I donā€™t have a ā€œmeeting passcodeā€ which is being asked for

ā€œdipteraā€

Thank you, everyone, for coming! I had a lot of fun, and I hope you all did as well! It was also great getting to put names to faces (and voices).

For all of those who werenā€™t able to come, the recording is initializing, so Iā€™ll have it posted here as soon as possible. (I forgot to start recording for some time, so Iā€™m now re-recording the section that isnā€™t in the main recording.)

For those who came (@catherine_g @eleanor_macdonald @malisaspring @BlueDasher @pbedell (sorry if I missed anyone)), remember to keep identifying so the information sticks with you! (also we just need more identifiers lol)

Hereā€™s a link to get you started: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?taxon_id=364082&place_id=1,6712

P.S. @yubabirder Iā€™m sorry, I saw you join the waiting room but at that point I was unable to let you in for some reasonā€¦ Please come next time!

P.S.S. @astra_the_dragon I think you went AFK at some point so I left you in the main room when we went to breakout rooms. I hope to see you next time!

2 Likes

Great work! Iā€™m downloading the recordings now and canā€™t wait to watch them. Many thanks :-), Sarah.

1 Like

You should be able to watch them in your web browser, Iā€™m not entirely sure.

Thanks for doing this! It was very informative, and it was fun to meet people.

1 Like

Iā€™m watching them in VLC media player with no problemā€¦ fascinating :-)! Thanks again for your commitment and hard work.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I would be very interested in learning more about your guide. I have used it, but could use some instruction to be more efficient with it.

Unfortunately, I have been fairly inactive on INat for the last 3 weeks and missed this post. I just returned to town tonight, if you have a second session or repeat the first later, please let me know.
I have referred to your guide, but could be more efficient working through it.

See here for the recordings: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/24688/52

Iā€™m planning out another meeting that will focus on Allograpta, but thatā€™s still in the thought process as of this moment.

Thank you for the link. I will watch tomorrow. Let me know if you plan another meeting (Allograpta) - but please give me a couple of days advance notice. I am outside mostly and NOT tied to my computer. :)

1 Like

Hi all!

Even and I have organized a second ā€˜party,ā€™ this time surrounding Allograpta obliqua! You can find the details here: https://www.inaturalist.org/posts/58236

Thanks!

1 Like