Genus-level ID becomes maverick following taxon swap of the species-level ID

I’m not sure if this is a bug or not or how this should be dealt with. My initial (correct) genus ID became maverick, once the refining IDs were swapped with the new taxon name (see https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/83231863). Here is a screenshot of the problem:

I have seen very similar issues in the bug reports, but none were exactly like this one. I suspect that those issues are all related, so perhaps it could also be merged with other existing bug reports.

Although it seems a little weird, it does make sense, since you’re now in disagreement with the others’ IDs. I don’t think it’s a bug, per se. The taxon-swapper could have also done a split for the genus, bumping all genus-level Clidemia IDs up to tribe level, but I don’t know whether that’s officially recommended. It seems like it could be very disruptive.

1 Like

Correct, this is not a bug.

Genus swaps are recommended when there are IDs like this – a genus ID that intends to mean “I think it could be [the species getting swapped]”.

@frousseu If you want, you can click on the link to the taxon change and put in a comment for the curator, asking for a genus swap.

Edit: I should have said a genus split.

Ok, so making an observations maverick is probably safer and less disruptive than automatically changing the taxon or bumping it up. In this case, the simplest solution is just to remove my ID.

You mean to ask for all Clidemia genus-level IDs to automatically be changed to Micronia IDs?

No, the genus IDs would get swapped up to tribe to accommodate both possibilities: “I think it could be Micronia crenata”, and “I think it could be [any other species in Clidemia]”.

1 Like

I should be clearer:
The taxon change should be a genus split, not a swap. Also, if the genera can by separated geographically, they can be atlased and then may not need to go up a level. (That doesn’t look to be the case here though.)

To follow the taxonomic discussion on iNat, check this flag: https://www.inaturalist.org/flags/502694

1 Like