Help with reading a notation on a LINN herbarium specimen

Anyone interested in taking a quick look at the image of this specimen from the Carl Linnaeus Herbarium to tell me what you think the penciled notation says?

http://linnean-online.org/10279/

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Second word is “Aster”. Second line is “i.e. diffusus Ait.” Sorry not sure on the rest.

3 Likes

That helps so much, because I could read “Aster miser” on the top line, and “i.e.” on the second line. “Diffusus Ait.”, a synonym for Aster miser. Both Aster miser Nutt. and Aster diffusus Ait. are now taxonomic synonyms of Symphyotrichum lateriflorum.

I believe, then, that it’s close to this (question marks mine):

Est? Aster miser, Mr. ____?
i.e. diffusus Ait.
Then perhaps the initials of whoever made the notation?

Aster diffusus Ait. was published in 1789, and Aster miser Nutt. in 1818.

first word is indeed Est (It is).

3 Likes

Having read this morning an analysis by Asa Gray of the Solidago specimens in the Linnaeus Herbarium, I believe the initials on the bottom row are his: “AG”. If so, then we have:

Est Aster miser, __ ____
i.e. diffusus Ait.
AG

I withdraw my assumption that the word or abbreviation after “miser” in row one is “Mr.” It could be that, or possibly “var.”?

Edit: Gray wrote, in part:(See text at BHL)

The other, marked only “K.,” judging from the character and other indications, must be the original of
S. lateriflora; otherwise that is not in the herbarium. It is a familiar form of the Aster miser, var. diffusus, Torr. and Gray, Fl., that is, of A. diffusus, Ait.

1 Like

Got it! The last part on line one says “Tor. & Gray”. Or could be “Torr.” The & is in the shape of a fast-made plus sign.

Est Aster miser, Tor. & Gray
i.e. diffusus Ait.
AG

Which is clearly a notation made by Asa Gray and printed almost verbatum in his work that I quote above.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.