How do I remove an initial ID if I've made the wrong choice from the ID list?

With only 18 observations, I’m still learning iNat. I added an observation with three photos of galls on pin oak leaves. I hoped to learn the identity of the gall wasp, but I mistakenly chose pin oak for the ID. It was accurate but not what I intended. I went to the Edit option hoping I could delete and start over, but the only option I found was to withdraw the observation. I did that but wasn’t comfortable doing so, and it asked me to explain why. I re-evaluated and restored the original ID – the photos do in fact show pin oak. But I would still like the gall ID. In this case, should I add the gall photos again as a new observation? My apologies if I’ve overlooked something obvious.

3 Likes

If you know what you actually wanted to pick, just add it as a new ID and that will withdraw your initial one.

4 Likes

You can either add a right id, your first one will be overwritten, or withdraw your id - it’s ok, or delete it - option is there too in edit>delete.

4 Likes

You can definitely upload the same photo twice, once for the oak and once for the gall.

7 Likes

I think others have answered your question here, but I just wanted to say…

I used to hate having the “black mark” of withdrawn observations attached to my name, but I’ve made so many mistakes that I’m used to it now, and seen others make mistakes as well. I don’t think there is any flat-out delete option, but there is nothing wrong with withdrawing, or replacing with another ID (which automatically withdraws).

There’s all kinds of reasons why one might have accidentally put something on and have to retract later. I guess the important thing is to keep an eye on your feed and adjust when someone points out a mistake (assuming that you agree with them that it is a mistake). The people that don’t withdraw in the face of error frustrate me more than people who withdraw an ID a dozen times. Having to withdraw sometimes is par for the course.

4 Likes

What do you mean by “flat-out delete option”? You can delete id, don’t know if you mean something different.

2 Likes

Under “Edit”, there is an option to delete your ID. So, if you would rather do that than withdraw it, feel free to do so.

5 Likes

I never noticed that! I always assumed they made it permanent so people couldn’t gaslight others…

4 Likes

Although this is an option, as was mentioned, it’s best to use it only when it was an unintentional ID (hit wrong button, clicked wrong name, etc.) When it was an intentional ID, but now one’s mind has changed, it’s best to withdraw or add a new ID. This preserves the history of the ID process for the observation, and also help users and the system to know which species might be confused with each other. Like you say, there’s no shame in having to withdraw an ID. And it’s actually helpful to the community.

7 Likes

Thank you for these helpful answers, everyone!

2 Likes

Thanks to these helpful comments I went back to my observation and solved what had puzzled me. First, I didn’t know that to change the ID on the app Edit page I only needed to tap the X. (Causing one of those Duh moments). Second, I discovered that one can delete an observation, but that the option for doing so is at the very bottom of the page and out of view at least on my phone display. I have to scroll a bit to see it — though as someone pointed out, it should be reserved for only certain circumstances. Thank you again, everyone.

1 Like

Just want you be aware that there is no need to delete the entire observation, if all you are wanting to do is to withdraw or change your ID on the observation. You can change, withdraw, or even delete your ID on an observation without having to re-create the entire thing.

3 Likes

Your comment is very helpful. Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.