How do I see all species of one family?

There are 2.935 species of Lamiaceae on Inaturalist. I want to see just one picture of as many of them as possible (there is this one plant, but I can’t get to it because it’s behind an enclosure, this is my desperado way of trying to find out what it could be - a tactic that I have used with good results in the past, e.g. with unusual garden escapes etc…).
One way to do that is via ‘explore’, put the family name in the search window, then ‘go’ and then click on ‘species’. This works perfectly for small families, but for big families one only sees a restricted number of species (less than 500 for Lamiaceae actually). Is there a way around this? Many thanks in advance fot hints and tips.

Can you narrow it down by location? I would probably start with a location page and look for Lamiaceae in the checklist.

3 Likes

It’s the max number of species shown at a time (500), you need to use more filters to see others. Though if you can photograph it even from a distance it’ll be easier to tag experts on it.

2 Likes

if you can get even a bad photo of the plant, you could post it to iNaturalist to see what others think (or what the computer vision suggests).

otherwise, if you just want a lineup of mints, you could try either of these:

1 Like

Putting your country should narrow down the list enough that you can scroll through all of them.

Thanks, sadly the picture is much smaller, but better than nothing I guess.

the code for both of those pages is located at: https://github.com/jumear/stirfry. you could get it and save a local version with the changes you need.

replace the line that looks like:
.icon { height:48px; width:48px; border-radius:50%; }

… with something like:
.icon { height:150px; width:150px; border-radius:0%; }

you can edit the code with as something a simple as a plain text editor, such as Notepad in Windows.

I would also highly suggest you post photos (with as many details as possible) to the iNaturalist website. It would be extremely difficult to identify a plant based off of a single photo, with no context, out of hundreds of similar-looking options.

4 Likes

It depends, it works well for highly charateristic looking plants. Posting a picture on inaturalist is useless. Nobody will notice as far as I can tell.

How to get identifications for your observations

1 Like

Sorry that is your experience of iNat. I recognise your name because you have been helping with Cotoneaster / Pyracantha in Cape Town. Thank you.

I find that the best way to get identifications is to have just uploaded them within a day ago. Any longer than that, and they get buried by new observations.

This is why I didn’t have much sympathy for the person who complained some time ago that they could only upload a certain number of observations at one go. As far as I’m concerned, that’s a feature, not a bug; it enforces giving other people a turn, too.

I have often thought it would be nice to have something here akin to the express checkout lane – if you upload fifteen observations or less, you go to a different queue than the people uploading a full grocery cart.

1 Like

I view by 10s on my laptop screen. If all 10 are from one observer, I skim for interesting ones. Then Mark all as Reviewed. Next … till I get to more varied sets.

You already wrote about it, but it still sounds cruel to posters, you have all the ways to change the order of observations, e.g. turn on random order, bashing people for uploading will only lead to them leaving, instead it should be encouraged, there’s no turns as iders can id everything they want how they want it to, it’s actually a fault of how iders work on the site (and how much it’s promoted - not enough) that things should be ided fast or never, dedicated group of iders could keep up with builduing pile of observations (and in many areas they do that), that’s not observer’s fault that they observe and upload.

2 Likes

I usually start with the oldest first when I do an ID session, but I also think in the interest of not straying too far off topic, those questions are probably better discussed in already existing threads about identifications like the one linked above:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.