How do you organize your photos?

Fantastic @bobmcd – thanks for being open and teachable! Filling in metadata and keywords is very much part and parcel of “organising your photos” in my opinion (even if you don’t regard yourself as a “photographer” - it’s YOUR photos and therefore YOUR responsibility to document them properly). During the project I referred to in my original post, quite a few contributors commented that they will have to go through all their thousands of images to find what we where looking for. If they recorded proper keywords/metadata from the start, the search process would have been só much more productive for them and for us (the end user) who had to work with their images. And because the publication was of a scientific nature, many of the contributors where scientists themselves (most of whom simply don’t adhere to this crucial aspect of recording observations by means of photography). To answer your question – first prize would be to fill in as much metadata as possible. Minimum info: Creator | Creator: e-mail | Description | Keywords | Location | Credit Line | Copyright statement. Not sure about other image organising programmes, but Adobe Bridge lets you create metadata templates so you don’t have to physically type in all this info every time. If you need more guidance/help in this regard, you are welcome to e-mail me and I will help to the best of my ability: contact@oswaldkurten.co.za.

2 Likes