How far back to go with Observations

Hi

I am new to this site and have just started adding my recents observations. However I would like some guidance on how far back it is useful to go when adding historic observations. I have loads of photos going back many years that I could include. Will this be useful information to add? How far back should I go?

Thanks
Andy

4 Likes

So long as you know the date and location of the photos, there is no reason not to load all of it. It will all be welcome.

6 Likes

Thank you, thats useful to know!

1 Like

Have fun! And welcome to iNat! :)

2 Likes

If you are like me, your location records get a little fuzzier as you go farther back in time, particularly to pre-GPS days (whatever those may be for you). So I recommend paying special attention to the “Accuracy” field for the older observations, and make sure it is getting an appropriate value to reflect any uncertainty about the locations. Even with modern GPS locations, there is still always some amount of error (5 meters at least) that should be reflected in the Accuracy field.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: How to input locations?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.