How to change username on iNatForum?

@charlie - I changed my username on iNaturalist a few days ago, but it hasn’t changed on the iNaturalist Forum (nor does there appear to be a way to change it). Is there any way to sync them?

I’m not sure! I’d try logging off then logging back in with that account.

Interestingly, logging out and back in again reset my user icon to the icon I’m using on iNaturalist, but it didn’t update my username. Is there any way to file a bug about the Forum?

Another option is maybe my Forum account could just be deleted and I could recreate it.

I hope you wait a little while and see if staff can fix the disconnect first. Otherwise your informative posts here would likely be lost!

@charlie - Any other ideas? If not, is it possible to file a bug? or just get the account deleted?

@tiwane are you in the desert yet? Do you know the answer to this question? (how to reset name of account to match iNat name?) my approach would be just to keep your different name and link in your profile @zygy … but that’s up to you. I have no idea how account deletion works on here.

Moderators/staff can change your username for you, but you should also be able to do this manually in your preferences:

Unlike on iNaturalist, your old mentions will change over to your new username (in this case, from @kaldari to @zygy.

1 Like

Thanks @bouteloua! In my settings there is no pencil icon next to the username (even if I hover over it). Everything else on that page has a pencil icon next to it. Seems like a bug.

1 Like

Was this ever sorted? I changed my user name on iNat to KitKestrel, and would like to do it in the forum too, but there is no pencil next to my username in the Preferences. Who can I ask to do this? I’m afraid I don’t know who the moderators are…

Thanks!

I was able to make the change as a Moderator. Will message you in iNaturalist also, in case this caused any kind of disconnect to your login.

It’s 2022 and I see the last time this was updated was in 2019, so I would like to reraise the question: Is there a way to change my iNatForum username? I’m going to be changing my legal name anyways, and I would also like for my iNaturalist and iNatForum usernames to match to avoid confusing people. How can I make this happen? Do I have to have a moderater do it for me? Would this thread be a good way to ask that, or is there somewhere else I should go? I would like for my iNatForum username to be changed to nonbinary-naturalist to match my iNaturalist username.

Can you see the screenshots above? Is there still no pencil edit icon for you? I just checked with a test account and it does have the pencil icon.

If not, just let any forum moderator know and they can change it for you (I can do so, but would like to know if you’re not able to!).

1 Like

This is how it shows up for me, with a pencil icon next to my profile picture, but no options given for my username.

1 Like

Thank you :D

2 Likes

I’m also having the same issue - there’s no way to edit my username. I changed my iNat name to mbwildlife a couple of months ago. Could a moderator manually change it? Thanks!

The address to use to ask the moderators to change a username on the forum is in this topic:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/how-do-i-update-my-username-on-the-forum/22675

1 Like

Sorry, just getting to this. Currently the forum is set to the default, which is that a user has 3 days to edit their username after their account is created. Otherwise a moderator or admin have to do it.

I edited it and changed it to 10 years. I don’t see why people shouldn’t be able to change their own username, although it really should be the same as their iNat username.

4 Likes

FWIW, I guess I had a different opinion last year. But we’ve had requests for changing usernames to match iNat names so I think it’s fine for now.

2 Likes

I hold the opinion that username and forum name changes should be done by moderators (after 3 days or a month).

It was harmless enough , but in December there were two seemingly trolling-type posts by Forum names with little or no iNat activities and only a very short time logged on the Forum. In those 2 cases, they were just silly questions (yet, such is the quality of most iNatters, they still had fairly interesting discussion).

But, personally, I would not want to see much more of such activity.

1 Like