How to define geographic area for ‘Project’

Afternoon,

I’m trying to set up a Project to allow people to use Seek/iNaturalist to allow us to gather information on which species can be found on our local nature reserve (Merkinch Local Nature Reserve).

When I try to put a geographic parameter on records it only allows me to choose between two (now redundant) local authority regions. These are way too broad for what I was hoping.

Does any one know if it’s possible to define a smaller area for a project? If so, could you please point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,

Christian.

In website headtab click on more => places => create new place, there you need to add a kml file of the area, you can either find it online for specific places or draw yourself e.g. in Google Earth, but for Nature Reserve it should already exist.

1 Like

You can find info on creating new places here: https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/getting+started#create_place

I believe you’ll need to have 50 verifiable observations on your account before you can make a new place.

2 Likes

Thank you both!

I can see the option you’re referring to - I just need to go get my 50 observations first!

All the best,

Christian

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.