How to edit location from public to obscured?

I recently marked several observations a public, when in fact the location is not open to the public. How do I edit the location to obscured?

welcome to the forum :)

click the blue edit button top right of screen
→

Public doesn’t mean that people can go there, it just means that people can see where it was on the map.

3 Likes

Please don’t make observations “private” unless there’s a good reason to hide the location from people. If the observation is “private,” we observers can’t even know what continent it is on. Also, the observation usually isn’t useful for researchers. If possible, leave the observation “public” so everyone can know where it is. As @Vireya says, that doesn’t mean it’s open for the public to visit.

If you want to hide an observation, use “obscured” in most cases. That randomly places the observation somewhere in a box about 6 x 6 miles. That’s usually good enough to make the location hard to find.

3 Likes

Thank you all (thebeachcomber, Vireya & sedgequeen) for your comments. I learned what I needed to know!

5 Likes

You’re welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.