How to follow somebody

Hi, I’m so sorry to have to ask a very basic question, but I cant figure out how to follow people. I did see directions on a google post, but my Profile page doesn’t look like the screen shot provided.
thanks,
-michael

4 Likes

If you go to someone else’s profile - ie https://www.inaturalist.org/users/477 you should see Message and Follow buttons to the right of the person’s iNat name towards the top of the screen

2 Likes

Thanks Scott. I hadn’t realized after SEARCH that I needed to click on their username. That brings up their profile. It worked! Thanks!
-michael

3 Likes

Hi,

I’m having trouble finding where someone’s user page is in the app. When I search for their account using the “search for people” function it just gives me their observations, and tapping on their name within those observations doesn’t seem to work…

What am I missing?

1 Like

You can only follow other users on the iNaturalist website, and only the website shows a news feed of new observations made by the users you follow. It’s not really a part of the mobile experience.

3 Likes

Hi- Is this still the case that you can only follow people on the web version? Also, is it different for Android and iPhone users?

Hi, welcome to the iNat Forum! Yes, unfortunately following another user is still only available on the website. If you follow other users on the website, you’ll get updates about their observations in your web dashboard as well as emails (with an option to opt out).

1 Like

Is this still only available on the website and not in mobile apps? I’m not seeing followed people’s activities in the Android app “Activity” pane or in “Messages” pane or in mobile ‘notifications’ - only in email and I get too much of that to pay much attention to. Is there anywhere that feature requests like this are tracked and could be upvoted to track popularity/demand?

1 Like

feature requests can be submitted and voted on in #feature-requests :)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.