How to properly do Annotations?

Not sure how to explain this in English, but a Observation have an incorrect Annotation. For examples is an egg case, but observer added Juvenile, and also, this observer disagree with his annotation. I know Agree and Disagree can move to the conversation, but how I do the correct anotation of this observation, or is not possible at all? Is there a way to asses this issue? I was alerted to this, as I tried to add “egg”, but it was not possible. He was trying to add this observation to a personal project of chondrichthyan eggs.

Annotations can only be changed by the observer; best thing to do is leave a comment on the observation explaining the situation and asking them to fix it.

1 Like

Apparently he is not online anymore :(

2 Likes

You can personally message him/her on iNaturalist message or from the email id on their profile and hope they will reply :)

1 Like

I don’t know what group you are trying to apply this to, but sometimes the finer annotations are not available. I also find it a little frustrating when there are more than one life stage involved (adult moth and eggs).
EDIT (a day later) Or when there are a mating pair. There is only one box for sex.

3 Likes

@mamestraconfigurata This is something we can convey to the developers. I am part of a project where they collect mating observations and a way to identify sexes will definitely help (https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/mating-behaviour).

Like you have mentioned, I recently observed a female moth laying bunch of eggs, so I had duplicated the observation one for the female and one for the eggs.

There could also be an additional box put under sexes with male/female as both together (mating/courtship). Also how about hermaphrodites animals and plants with dimorphism.

1 Like

You could try help@inaturalist.org or post a request in the Features Request heading on this forum. Both of those usually get a prompt response.

I tried to add the Egg annotation to added it in this project https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/huevos-de-rayas-tiburones-y-quimeras-del-pacifico-sur (which only admitds elasmobranch eggs). It would be less cumbersome be able to change it instead ask the observer to fix it.

[please don’t post links to other observations in this context, I removed it]

There’re tons of observations fields to put for mating, etc., annotations won’t change the way to capture both male and female as observation is suited for one specimen, dupliating it is a good way to capture that!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.