How to submit an observation *without* any photo

I have searched all over iNaturalist including the forums, Help, etc. and I cannot see any instructions on how to submit an observation without a photo. Under Help, the topic “What is an observation” very much implies that you can do this. But under “Upload” I see no other option, than to upload a picture file. It refuses to accept a text file, and I can’t seem to submit an observation without doing an Upload. If this information is already covered in the help and FAQ sections, it is very difficult for at least this one user to find it. If in fact you do have to submit a photo, then the text under “What is an observation” very much needs to be reworded. Please advise me on this?? Thanks!! Steve Johnson, Fairfax, Virginia, USA

3 Likes

Hi @stevekjohnson, welcome to the iNat Forum! I moved your topic from #feature-requests to #general. It sounds like you’re talking about the iNaturalist website, so here are the steps for that:

Click the green Upload button in the top right corner of any page.

In the top left corner of the page, click Add, then “Observation without media”.

Enter the various details, such as species, date, and location.

Click “Submit” in the top right of the page.

3 Likes

There is a csv import which you can get to by clicking “More Import Options” which is the way to go if you want to import a batch of observations.

There’s also a “Add Batch” which I’ve used in the past when I wanted to add a list all the of birds I’d seen at a nature reserve (but hadn’t taken any photos) but I think that might be deprecated now. It’s still there though (you can find it via the csv link).

Thank you, [schoenitz]. I see that +Add button now that you point it out. The main central screen appeared to be the only “way ahead” so I didn’t look hard enough. Good to go now, thanks again!!

1 Like

Thank you, [bouteloua]. I see that +Add button now that you point it out. The main central screen appeared to be the only “way ahead” so I didn’t look hard enough. Good to go now, thanks again!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.