How to use iNaturalist's Search URLs - wiki part 1 of 2

Wow, thank you!

Actually in this case it returns all the IDs I have withdrawn (either by refining or just plain withdrawing.)

1 Like

Oops, you’re right. I could have sworn in the past it showed me coarse IDs I hadn’t withdrawn, but that don’t match community because the ID has been refined by others.

1 Like

I think I figured that one out though, it is current_taxon=false. So very similar.

2 Likes

Is there a URL feature that limits the search results to only observations I’ve favorited?

You want to use Explore/Identify to go through observations that you’ve favorited? Can I ask if there’s a particular reason you don’t just want to use the page for your favorites?

I use the Fav button to quickly save tough observations to ID later when I have more knowledge of a given group etc. But when later arrives, there’s no convenient way to sort that pile, that I know of, but it seems like there easily could be.

It notifies the observer when you favorite their observation; would it be better to just leave it “unreviewed” or bookmark it or add it to (insert your to-do app of choice here)?

Funny how favoriting an observation notifies the user, but following their account does not.

Makes sense, subscribing to other content like journal posts or flags doesn’t add any notifications for the content author.

https://github.com/inaturalist/iNaturalistAPI/issues/17
describes the same issue as it existed in the API.

1 Like

Thanks!

I was able to get the Ohio County place_id values using this.

Important note for anyone else reading this: the per_page must be set to 200 or you may not get all of the data.

1 Like

Is it possible to configure the filter so that it shows observations of a particular group, EXCLUDING a specific territory? If not, then that would be quite a useful option. For example, if I want to see all my observations outside of my homeland or the observations of a group outside its main area.

5 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: How to filter to identify all observations of a species?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: How to filter to identify all observations of a species?

In explore filters, you can restrict observations to a date range or a specific date. Can the same thing be done with times? I have a big need for this. I will often do inaturalist plant observations in the field and later upload them, but also collect a specimen and mark it with masking tape annotated with time of day. Then when I get back home, I add more photos with the scope. It can be difficult to find which observation the specimen belongs to without a time search. Sometimes I might have 200 observations in a day, making it a lot of observations to weed through. I can filter by genus or other rank which helps, but sometimes this isn’t possible.

2 Likes

Yes, but you need to include the offset (time zone adjustment) or it will otherwise use UTC.

So this is for observations made locally in CDT (5 hour offset from UTC) between 10am and 11am: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?d1=2020-10-25T10:00-05:00&d2=2020-10-25T11:00-05:00&place_id=1859

5 Likes

This thread is maybe also related.
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/have-a-time-shift-feature-available-for-search-urls-or-in-search-menu/16500

1 Like

How do users (or is there even a way to) exclude something in a search? In other words, can I search all records for my state “except” from my county . . . or search for all records in my county “except” mine . . . or all Lepidoptera “except” butterflies. ??? Some of my iNatruralist observations are related to my current employment, and it would be very useful to be able to show what impact I have had on the number of species recorded in my county and state, by any given month, and this seems like the best way to do that. Thoughts?