How well do you know your local wildlife? Now you can test yourself

does “only native taxa” mean that if a taxon doesn’t have any native/introduced status selected it won’t get included? I feel like that would limit the taxa quite a bit…

1 Like

I never thought about that. I’m still learning about how this site works. I figured adding that parameter would prevent species that don’t make sense in a particular location appearing in the list of taxa (e.g. pets or zoo animals).

Would filtering for ‘research grade’ be enough to achieve this?

2 Likes

Yes. All observations of non-wild organisms should be marked an captive, which makes the observation “casual”. if you are filtering only for research grade, that automatically excludes species that only have observations that are casual or needs ID.

2 Likes

Got it - that makes things much easier, thank you. I made the change and deployed it, so your Berlin Fungi Quiz should have more taxa now :+1:t6:

5 Likes

Thanks a lot, I got through all 10 questions now :)

3 Likes

Love it! My wife and I are self-quarantined for a week, so this quiz is a fun way to pass the time. Thanks!

3 Likes

Great fun, thank you.

1 Like

being able to see user photos is good, but it takes a while to load each time which makes it very hard to answer quickly - maybe make it possible to opt out? or load the whole quiz before, but still have the possibility to change photos?

1 Like

Genius! Would love to know how you made this. Such an idea would go down very well within my local Natural History Society, for which I’ve just taken over managing the website.

2 Likes

You’re right, I just added the option to cycle through multiple photos. This does make questions load more slowly, so I will add the option to opt out, and I will experiment with ways to load questions ahead of time.

Keep in mind though, the speed multiplier only starts to decrease once all pictures have loaded so right now you should still be rewarded the same way for answering quickly. I got rid of the multiplier indicator because I thought it made the screen too cluttered, but maybe I’ll bring it back and make it smaller and more out of the way.

Thanks Alexis

With the scientific names it is a lot of fun now! One minor thing, I don´t know how others see this: I prefered having the pictures presented in a square as they were much easier and faster to grasp. Now in having them presented in a row I have to scroll down quite a bit which eats a lot of time. It´s fine if I view the quiz just as a learning tool (and love it as such!), but it makes the competition aspect a bit difficult.

Anyways, I will keep using it as I love the training!

I’m guessing this is on Firefox right? That’s a layout bug I need to fix. The images should be arranged in a 2x2 square.

1 Like

Should be fixed now!

2 Likes

This was great fun! An odd thing that happened on one of my “animal” questions was that I was asked to identify a carpenter ant. There was one picture of an ant, and three pictures of bumble bees. That made it kind of a dead give-away! Might be some kind of funny quirk going on with ants and bees. Other insect questions (like a dragonfly and a locust) were fine - all pictures of similar critters.

I’m going to keep playing! Thank you so much for taking the time and making the effort to put this together.

3 Likes

Thank you Jonny. Yes it was on firefox (sorry, forgot to mention) and yes it is fixed now. Perfect!

Would like to mention some of the details I really like. I love that after each round I can take my time to have a look at the names as long as I want to and I decide when to go on. Well done!
Also love that is possible to follow the link on the picture to the person who took it. Great possibility to check back with maybe unclear or wrong IDs. Although I realized it is not possible to do this with the answer I chose. So e.g. it is not possible to klick the person who submitted the photo when I choose his/her photo for the right answer. However, I don´t think this is a biggy.

One thing that could improve the quiz further is a “Create new quiz” button directly at the end of the quiz. Right now one has click the home button and make the way through to a new quiz… or did I miss a button there?
One very minor thing, but as I realized it, I just mention it as well: there is a tipo when the quiz is created… it says “Your Quz is Ready” (missing an i)

That´s all for now, I go quizzing some more :-)

1 Like

it is not possible to klick the person who submitted the photo when I choose his/her photo for the right answer

Fixed - You should be able to now :)

“Create new quiz” button directly at the end of the quiz.

Done :). The button I just added says “Try again”

“Your Quz is Ready”

Typo - Fixed :)

Thanks Ajott! I’m glad the ability to cycle through photos and click on names of the users who took them is proving useful

2 Likes

It’s my pleasure Claire - I’m glad you found it fun! Sorting a random list of taxa into groups of 4 that are related enough is turning out the be the hardest part of this by far. I can’t guarantee that you’ll never get unrelated taxa that make a question too easy, but I am working on making it less likely to happen.

1 Like

Great work I love it and will share if you dont mind

2 Likes

welcome to the forum, @stephen169!

1 Like

Yes, welcome!

1 Like