How well do you know your local wildlife? Now you can test yourself

I built a site you can use to quiz yourself on taxa from your local area.

You can also quiz yourself on taxa from your own observations.

This project is a work in progress so I’d love to hear your feedback!

70 Likes

This is fun! However, I’d like to see the “Find the…” text above the photos so that I see it first before I get to the photos.

12 Likes

Great point - I can see how it can be easy to miss if it’s at the bottom. I’ll make that change, thanks!

3 Likes

this is neat!
also, welcome to the forum.

4 Likes

LOVE IT!

LOVE IT

4 Likes

I got 10 out of 10! Yippee!

2 Likes

This is a super fun idea!!

However, I tried and have a problem with the names. I am not a native english speaker and the common english names usually do not mean anything to me and I also don´t feel the advantage of learning them… Would make much more sense to me to use the scientific names instead (or at least additionally).

For example I never heard anything of a carrion crow, but of course I know and can identify a Corvus corone, which is super common in Germany. And if I didn´t know the name Corvus corone yet, I at least would learn something internationally useful. As it is now, it is rather frustrating. I see pictures of animals I know, but can not get the answer right because I am missing the vocab, which I don´t really need anyways.

Hope this can be changed? Would love to use the quiz, especially for my current home, Ecuador (where english names are also quite unuseful actually, because nobody except for the expats speaks english here), where I still have a lot to learn.

23 Likes

love it!

this would also be helpful, I’d like to be able to see both (or have an option to choose) though too.

6 Likes

I got 9/10 randomly guessing how would those moths be called, lol, just having genuses near insects would make it much easier. I love interface a lot though! Maybe having seconds left written near timeline could be useful too, it looks a very fast one.)
Also it rather gets casual observations or I need to go and check what we have now, but fuschias in Saint-Petersburg are quite funny.

4 Likes

Wow love it!!! The only thing I would say is maybe try to have a type in the blank option for some of them. Because in real life your going to see a plant/animal/fungi, and try to put a name to it. As it is now with multiple choice its kinda easy to identify the plant by just comparing the name to the picture. (in some cases). Here is a similar one my brother coded http://birdquiz.craigood.com/

3 Likes

What a fantastic site! The one issue that myself and others I’ve shown it have found is the predominance of moths, every animal quiz including what some are seeing as a disproportionate amount of them. Maybe split the animals category into Invertebrates and Vertebrates?

3 Likes

This is really cool; thanks for sharing. Love the interface.

2 Likes

This is cool. Quick tea break challenge

4 Likes

This is fun, the image quality is so good! Thanks for doping the work.

2 Likes

That should be ‘doing’ - sorry

3 Likes

Wow, really excellent! Great fun!!! Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Really cool!!

I would suggest to add scientific names option or language if you can, I got 8/10 because I do not really know the english names of things. Also it could be challenging and even very educational to have the scientiic names option for some people.

5 Likes

That was fun - especially since some of my observations appeared as the “type” observations for my area. Is it random, or did you pick and choose from RG observations?

1 Like

I enjoyed playing it too! As a bit of constructive criticism, I would also advise to add in the scientific names as well (On a personal level, that was how I learned their names).

4 Likes

I agree! Or you can give simple instructions on the page before diving in the quiz.

2 Likes