How well do you know your local wildlife? Now you can test yourself

Love it! Can I share it around?

1 Like

Thank you!

It doesn’t run in Firefox.

You’re right, and many people here seem to agree with you. Thank you for the feedback! I’ll add scientific names and let you know as soon as it’s ready (should be about a day or so)

2 Likes

Actually may just be my computer because it didn’t load in Chrome either.

I’ll dm you to help you figure out what’s wrong!

3 Likes

Of course! I made this for it to be shared around :)

1 Like

Now that you mention it, I noticed a lot of moths as well :sweat_smile:. I’ll find a way to even out the proportions and then update you. Thanks for the feedback!

4 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback Marina. I hadn’t thought about filtering out casual observations - I’ll be sure to make that change

2 Likes

Hi Kity, sorry I’m sort of new here, what do you mean by ‘my observations appeared as the “type” observations’? The way it works now it just pulls all your observed taxa (up to 500) and picks 40 at random to make 10 questions, but as someone else here made me realize, it might be better to filter and use only those that are research grade, so I’ll be working on that!

1 Like

I enjoyed it too…thanks for the creation! Like tiwane, I look forward to the "Find the " text being moved up…on my tablet, I missed it entirely first time round, and had no idea what to do:)

Like a recent poster, I would find taxonomic names more recognisssble than common ones. Even though I am anative English spes ker, some of the common names used are not used here in New Zealand.

But fun anyway:)

2 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

Excellent, but you feel a little too rushed.

You can create an ‘expert’ version, (more points of course) incorporating the
" Other species commonly misidentified as this species" as the alternatives

Maybe a highscore table? Always nice to compare your score.

Not sure why, but the locations are a little buggy. After searching “Canberra” and selecting “Animal” only one of the Canberra locations actually seems to work. Others just sit at “Building Quiz”

2 Likes

You’re right Megan, having a text input instead of multiple choice would be more of a challenge, and a more realistic test to see well you can recognize taxa in real life. Thanks for the feedback, and for sharing with me your brother’s awesome project

1 Like

Thanks Kai, scoreboardis on my to-do list! And thank you for pointing out the locations issue, I didn’t know about that - I’ll make sure I take care of that as well

1 Like

I meant that I saw a lot of my own photographs among the choices.

3 Likes

FYI: it’s case sensitive.
My browser tends to automatically capitalize the first letter entry in name fields, so it couldn’t find me until I entered it as “star3” (sans quotes).

2 Likes

Another few (hopefully not unreasonable) suggestions/bug finds:

1. Sometimes if I do the animal quiz I occasionally will see a plant there, not sure if thats intended or not.

2. Perhaps one can choose a difficulty level? Eg. Easy may be to choose between animals of different classes or orders, while the difficult levels may be to choose between animals belonging to the same family, or even genus! I suggest this because sometimes I would be asked to choose say, Northern Cardinal, and the rest of the suggestions would be some plant, a butterfly, and a toad.

4 Likes

This is a lot of fun and a good way for me to really learn the IDs I’ve gotten on my photos. Thanks for making it! :D

2 Likes

This is great! One quibble: the user name field is case sensitive but it auto-capitalizes the first letter. So it turns the “jbecky” I type into “Jbecky” and then can’t find me.

3 Likes