How were you introduced to iNaturalist?

I first heard about iNat through the podcast Ologies with Alie Ward. In one of the earlier episodes, she had a person talking about how you can record all sorts of organisms all around the world and talked about how actual scientists could record and track species. I think they talked about some newts?

As for actually using it, I think I was trying to identify some bugs I field sketched. The species I looked up came up in the search, checked out the site, remembered “this was the site on Ologies…”, signed up, and have been addicted ever since.

4 Likes

Haha, I remember seeing that first vid, I was so excited to see the site get more exposure.

2 Likes

Blame my husband.

8 Likes

Friend & colleague; I finally gave in once I understood I could hide locations from being public.

3 Likes

Using UV lights and a sheet to attract nocturnal insects and then photographing them before they go on their way. You can check my profile to see kinda what it looks like

2 Likes

Covid

2 Likes

Wrote a post on fieldherpforum back in 2014 following a family trip tp Texas. In one of the responses I was asked to contribute observations to the herpsoftexas project on iNat. Contributed, and since forgot all about it until iNat started showing up in my search results years later.

2 Likes

An interesting Covid side-effect there!

I was using ALA.org.au to upload a couple of observations from my phone, and in particular to try and get an ID on a beetle I saw, and noticed that ALA was integrating with iNaturalist for observations going forward, so I signed up and away I went!

Edit, oops: ALA.org.au, not ALA .org.

1 Like

I learned about iNaturalist from a biologist, who recommended me the app when I told him I’d love to learn more about plants in my area. I was curious about them, but could name only some species. That was exactly what I needed. I’ve been active for almost two years now.

6 Likes

I wish they’d put up similar signage on the shared trails out here. But the mountain bikers would be going too fast to read it. :roll_eyes: (Can you tell that I’ve been nearly run off of a narrow trail by a fast moving, neon-Spandex-clad object once too often?)

On topic: I found iNat via OdonataCentral. Last year’s Odolympics had directions for crossposting observations. Now I have more observations of dragons and damsels posted here than I do at OdeCentral. :laughing:

3 Likes

My son suggested me the app. At first I was not interested, but now, six months and 1400 observations later, I think it was a good decision :)

11 Likes

For me, it was in the process of becoming a Virginia Master Naturalist. I’ve come to be most enthusiastic about iNaturalist! Really enjoy that one can get comments/help from fellow-iNaters!

4 Likes

Using the identification guides for California land snails and California odonates. Eventually, I made the connection that the pictures in those guides were observations on the site.

2 Likes

Yeah, one of the positive things about covid for me was I really got into the nature world, spending time in my garden made me love even nature even more.

3 Likes

Was looking around for biodiverstiy stuff in my city then i found an checklist of my city. From there i created an account and started observing.

4 Likes

I always had an interesting in finding interesting organisms, and when one of my teachers mentioned it as a cool app that can be used to ID cool stuff, I was all in. I’m sure this teacher had heard about it from another teacher, who is a prominent iNat user in my area.

4 Likes

I did some citizen science projects for the city, who invited me to City Nature Challenge. I loved having a resource to help me ID things and was hooked. Then COVID happened. My friends mostly binge watched TV shows but I took up binge walking my neighborhood with my camera.

10 Likes

An ecology professor in my undergrad first introduced me to it, but I had a really ancient phone so I never actively used it. When I started my Master’s program a friend/lab mate was really into it and that lead to me re-visiting iNaturalist. Glad I did too!

4 Likes

I actually don’t remember… I’m assuming it was from community college, cuz that’s when I started using it a lot. It’s the best thing ever and my life is infinitely richer since my obsession with iNat began :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I want to get everyone addicted to it :japanese_ogre:

8 Likes

With apologies to Monty Python, this is a parody of their parody:

Interviewer: Yes. The iNat Problem· This week ‘The World Around Us’ looks at the growing social phenomenon of iNatutalists. What makes a person want to be a naturalist.

(Interviewer, sitting facing a confessor. The confessor is badly lit and is turned away from camera.)

Confessor: (very slowly and painfully) Well it’s not a question of wanting to be a naturalist… it just sort of happens to you. All of a sudden you realize… that’s what you want to be.

Interviewer: And when did you first notice these… shall we say… tendencies?

Confessor: Well… I was about seventeen and some mates and me went to a party, and, er… we had quite a lot to drink… and then some of the fellows there … started handing … macro prints around … and well just out of curiosity I tried to take some with my phone a bit … and well that was that.

Interviewer: And what else did these fellows do?

Confessor: Well some of them started dressing up as naturalists a bit … and then when they’d got the costumes on they started … Observing.

Interviewer: Yes. And was that all?

Confessor: That was all.

Interviewer: And what was your reaction to this?

Confessor: Well I was shocked. But, er… gradually I came to feel that I was more at ease … with other naturalists.

5 Likes