How you can easily make virus observations

Viruses are everywhere. By some measures they’re the most abundant component of the biosphere. Whether you describe them as “alive” is a semantic distraction that I don’t want to discuss here – they’re biological entities that are classified into species, genera, families, and so on, and they can be observed and identified on iNaturalist (here). Viruses have immense environmental, agricultural, medical, and societal impacts, and so understanding them and collecting data on them are likewise immensely important.

However, few iNaturalists are even aware that viruses may be observed on iNaturalist, and the number and diversity of virus observations is low. Of course, many viruses cannot be detected without laboratory techniques, but this is not always true. I would like to provide some suggestions on how you can easily make your first virus observation. Below is a list of commonly seen and relatively unambiguous signs of viral infection.

On your own body or the body of a consenting family member or friend

• Typical warts – subfamily Firstpapillomavirinae

• Molluscum contagiosum, a.k.a. water warts – species Molluscum contagiosum virus

• Chickenpox / shingles – species Human alphaherpesvirus three

• Oral / genital herpes – genus Simplexvirus. I believe genital herpes would require close cropping to comply with iNaturalist’s policy on nudity.

• Roseola – genus Roseolovirus. Be the first to observe this species!

• Measles – species Measles morbillivirus. Be the first to observe this species!

• Rubella – species Rubivirus rubellae. Be the first to observe this species!

• The ‘common cold’, flu, COVID-19, AIDS, dengue fever, yellow fever – best avoided unless you have had a diagnostic test performed, as the symptoms are ambiguous.

In your garden, your neighbours’ gardens, or urban vegetation

On your pets

If I have missed something you think should be included in this list, please make note of it. You’re welcome to tag me on any observation you think might show a viral disease. You are also encouraged to join the project Viruses of the World, where additional resources can be accessed.

33 Likes

Could you explain what is the best id for papillomas?

Thank you! I knew about family, I checked now that the second subfamily is some rare fish thing, it’s cool!

1 Like

Thanks so much James! Great to encourage people to do this.

1 Like

This is awesome! I really hope people make a greater effort to observe viruses and their consequences!

@user82793 do you know how feasible it is to observe the viruses themselves? My understanding is that they are generally really really small – maybe to small to visualize with a light microscope. But I’d love to see one if there happen to be any easy representatives.

2 Likes

Australia has Flutracking.net which is a weekly survey that asks about cold and flu symptoms. I do this every week, it is quick and easy. Obviously a very useful resource. I don’t think participation is limited to Australia, but most of the data is coming from Australian participants (often health care workers).

Flutracking.net | Tracking Influenza Across Australia and New Zealand

2 Likes

For those not hasty to get an ID, you can upload plant infections! Some of the most common and easily identified are listed here already. But any time you see odd patches of colour, striping, etc. where they shouldn’t be on a plant, or odd shapes and lumps on stems etc., there is probably an infection which may be viral.

It is worth noting that the large majority of infections are host-specific, so when you also upload the host organism, make sure to report back with its ID in the infection observation :)

5 Likes

I wrote a little journal post about Viruses in May 2020:

https://www.inaturalist.org/journal/susanhewitt/36292-viruses-in-nyc-in-plants-not-people

2 Likes

That’s how I got my first virus observation.

Surprised nobody mentioned Banana Bunchy Top Virus, considering its economic importance. For that matter, I am surprised iNaturalist has no taxon for it! This virus has the potential to decimate the banana industry.

2 Likes

I see observations of bananas all the time – because I provide IDs for the Caribbean region often. As iNaturalist is a global platform, it has many users in countries where bananas grow. Thank you for adding the taxon.

3 Likes

Curly top virus should be relatively easy to observe for many gardeners

This is merely out of concern that I did it wrong since I don’t really know too much about navigating viruses, but, did I do this right?

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/98801515

I looked up the virus that causes plantar warts and it was human papilloma virus and so I put that. It’s awkward for me to not be uploading plants and animals since that’s really all I do, so I wanted to get confirmation that I didn’t completely bungle it.

2 Likes

iNat suggested this as an interesting topic shortly after I joined. It was very much correct!

I was rather excited today to see what looked viral on dock leaves, but I’m starting to think it may have been fungal. Thoughts?

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/98789205

Also, should I duplicate it to record an observation for the host plant?

…and within a few more mins of research, I know believe I’m looking at Puccinia phragmitis

Too bad i don’t have photos of some warts i had long ago, though i am glad they are gone. TMI but i’m here for it.

1 Like

Host observation created.

I shall try again to find something viral in the near future. Thanks for your help.

Before we know it, observations of viruses may… go viral

7 Likes

Thanks so much again!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.