I need some basic tutorials in Chinese on how to use iNaturalist

just statistically, students from China are likely to be from China China, as opposed to Hong Kong or Taiwan or other such places. the written form of Chinese used in China is a simplified form of what is traditionally used in HK or Taiwan, though i suspect college-level native simplified readers should be able to figure out the traditional and vice versa. there are slight differences in phrases and word choices, but again, most native readers and speakers should be able to figure things out based on context.

for videos (and other works containing spoken language), i suspect videos done in Taiwan are likely going to be done in Mandarin (as opposed to Taiwanese), while videos done in HK are potentially going to be more of tossup – possibly done in Cantonese or possibly done in Mandarin (or possibly even done in English). folks from China are going to need a Mandarin version, as Cantonese and Taiwanese are different enough from Mandarin that i doubt most folks will be able to make the translation without having learned the other language (like German vs English).

here’s a previous forum topic that talks about a couple of iNat evangelists in Taiwan and HK. so if no one else responds, i would try reaching out directly to one of these guys: iNaturalist in Taiwan, Growing an iNaturalist Community - General - iNaturalist Community Forum.

4 Likes