#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

Looking at last two years, around 40% from both still need ids, it includes recently added observations, but still, enough to be busy for a year to just review them all.

1 Like

Almost 500 pages of unknowns from La Paz alone!

2 Likes

I pulled a Podranea ricasoliana from the unknowns in Cape Town and another from the unknowns in La Paz. I take care of a plant here in California. So there you go, people have the same garden plants all over the world.

3 Likes

I think in the spirit of iNat is encouraging new people to learn to see nature. Garden and street plants for city dwellers. Yesterday I could see on iNat, workers nipping out at lunchtime to photograph whatever they could find here and now. Which I find hugely encouraging, and also that the observers reflect the demographics of our City.

Cape Town won’t be counting your cat, your dog, and the many humans (including a toy plastic turtle yesterday :rofl: )

@lynnharper the two weeks is the cutoff for the Challenge. The ID conversations roll on with nature …

@arboretum_amy last I looked La Paz is leading on species count. Who knew they had SUCH biodiversity there?!

1 Like

Sure, but it should be either all project do that or none, of course most projects don’t aim to be #1, but as it’s called challenge, I think it’s expected to have everyone with the same rules. I see many posts telling people to mark cultivated plants and that they don’t count, and as I remember last year in main project rules it was mentioned too, didn’t really check them this year.

1 Like

I also agree that would be nice, but then again there’s also no guidelines regarding how large of a geographic area constitutes a team, so it’s never going to be really equal.

@dianastuder Yes I am shocked how much La Paz is leading!

2 Likes

they have so many observers. DC and Cape Town have about 700 observers each, but La Paz has 2300. if you add San Francisco’s and Houston’s observers to DC and Cape Town, then you beat La Paz’s observer count by only 1.

4 Likes

I see 508,870 needs ID left from 2021 CNC weekend and 708,140 needs ID this year with plenty of time for more uploads and IDs this week. Total verifiable at the moment is 1.19 million last year and 1.06 this year (Friday to Sunday, I’ll have to fix my comment and add Monday).

2 Likes

Well, at least that might keep us busy on rainy days for a while!

3 Likes

Here we go again. I still have 1,300 unknowns left from CNC in my state. What’s your IdentiFriday goal?

3 Likes

Survive uploading everything before the noon.) But actually my last id goal was to sort through everything in needs of id in Ivanovo. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?place_id=134612

Today’s goal is to hit 67,677 IDs total, 60 more than yesterday. Have I started yet? No. Am I leaving in 90 minutes to go hiking in New York state? Yes.

Guess I better find some easy IDs to make.

ETA, 28 minutes later: Well, that was easy. Maybe I should increase my daily goal? (No, I shouldn’t, because I am way behind on progress towards the number of observations I want to hit this year, so I should stop making IDs and go make observations in my yard - the female oriole is back, the robins are building a nest, there seem to be two pairs of catbirds this year, and it’s still cool enough the bees should be easy to photograph.)

7 Likes

1,500 waiting for me. I will. Get to the bottom of the barrel.

2 Likes

I am lately into Argiope-IDing and will be busy for some more weeks I guess…lots and lots that need confirmation, correction or ID… and I have not been all to busy in Asia yet… first finish the Euroean and American continents…

… ah sorry, was not meant as reply, but leave it that way now as I don´t know how to change without deleting and reposting :-D

1 Like

I decided to work on uploading observations today instead. I’m currently working on adding some of my backlog of spiders that showed up in my house.

3 Likes

I have this vision of spiders lined up in quiet corners, muttering to themselves, “Lappelbaum promised us internet glory, but how long do we have to wait?”

8 Likes

Please - how do I tweak the identify URL to show Argiope genus, but not yet to species?
Found it
exact_taxon_id=47552
working thru Africa …

1 Like

Saw it, will look into the one you mentioned me in when I am at my computer later :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks for taking over the african continent… I only worked on some areas in the north and some species there so far

1 Like

:rofl:

Wolf spiders are uploaded. Jumping spiders are going to have to wait a bit longer.

4 Likes

You can also use the high low filters in Identify menu

1 Like