#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

I went through those for Louisiana on Friday. It was a small enough number that I could tackle the whole thing in one day. They were mostly caused by one person and I talked to her about disagreeing using a lower level taxon like Flowering Plants and how to withdraw her disagreeing ID when someone else comes with a more specific ID after her disagreement.

3 Likes

I really should reach out more to those who disagree too harshly too, but I feel so rude doing that! It feels like I’m calling them out: “Well, you know it’s not a moss or a fern, don’t you? It’s clearly a flowering plant, you unreasonable ***!” Also, I’m still climbing up Mt. Stupid myself and mostly just end up ID’ing these disagreements as dicots anyway, so I don’t want to be THAT person, if you know what I mean? It’s not like I know something they don’t!

3 Likes

Sounds like you know something they don’t, actually. I get corrected on things, too. If the person with the correcting comment is polite, it feels like learning, or at least fixing a small error, not an attack.

4 Likes

It has been a rewarding day. Thank you!

1 Like

Heh, yeah, well, one of the things I DO know is the somewhat counter-intuitive way that iNat disagreements work, but I’d feel too much like I’m lecturing people who actually know something about plants and/or taxonomy to actually express it

1 Like

Oh so do I! The identifier and I know - it’s A Plant, but that iNat Won’t Dragon is not a bug. It is Working As Intended they say.

1 Like

Absolutely – “I explicitly disagree with this ID and also with any upcoming, to me currently unknown, ID’s” is a very reasonable feature! < /sarcasm>

2 Likes

You certainly knows something they don’t, it’s pretty unfair to think so about others, all you need is ask them to withdraw disagreements, I’m not gonna be angry at people disagreeing Insecta instead of Pterygota or that experts in one group of insects can’t even recognise an order or one-of-a-kind family, because that’s ok for people to not know something you do know, and to connect it with previous topic that is why people are iding dicots instead of family, I have no idea about African plant families, it’s a whole new world, likely most people outside of the region are the same.

2 Likes

We missed friday! Gonna check all the chaffinch observations, a lot of audio is left unattended.

2 Likes

I missed two or maybe even three Fridays! I’ve been travelling and now I have more than 2,000 photos to sort and upload.

Oh, well, soon it will be winter here and I can do lots of IDs. Plus I don’t have any more trips planned, alas.

4 Likes

That sounds great! I still have things from May to sort out, I’m going to Dagestan in November, not the right season to see the best fauna there, but hope to catch at least a glimpse of something new.

1 Like

I hope you have a wonderful time in Dagestan!

1 Like

I see the #IdentiFriday more like an #Identiweekend… Friday is usually litterally the worst day for me in terms of IDs :-)

I worked my way through some hundreds of Oxyopes-spiders in Europe this weekend. That was fun, as it lifted a lot of observations to the finer ID or to RG. Seems to be a widely overlooked group even for the spIDers

8 Likes

I woke up to 0 notifications, so I guess I need to check more unknowns today

Happy Friday!

7 Likes

As soon there’ll be a fungi bioblitz, if someone can help with shrooms of this project, 122 pages of them to id. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?project_id=bioraznoobrazie-leningradskoy-oblasti

1 Like

Sorry, no idea about fungi.

I will keep on doing what I did the whole week… Oxyopidae in Europe… 48 more pages to go :-)

3 Likes

as others have said, feel free to ping me to help overrule! I’m happy to help, at least for the taxa I’m more comfortable with.
Also please feel free to ping me if I’ve left an incorrect ID! I don’t always see an update to something I’ve IDed without a comment.

2 Likes