#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

We missed friday! Gonna check all the chaffinch observations, a lot of audio is left unattended.

2 Likes

I missed two or maybe even three Fridays! I’ve been travelling and now I have more than 2,000 photos to sort and upload.

Oh, well, soon it will be winter here and I can do lots of IDs. Plus I don’t have any more trips planned, alas.

4 Likes

That sounds great! I still have things from May to sort out, I’m going to Dagestan in November, not the right season to see the best fauna there, but hope to catch at least a glimpse of something new.

1 Like

I hope you have a wonderful time in Dagestan!

1 Like

I see the #IdentiFriday more like an #Identiweekend… Friday is usually litterally the worst day for me in terms of IDs :-)

I worked my way through some hundreds of Oxyopes-spiders in Europe this weekend. That was fun, as it lifted a lot of observations to the finer ID or to RG. Seems to be a widely overlooked group even for the spIDers

9 Likes

I woke up to 0 notifications, so I guess I need to check more unknowns today

Happy Friday!

8 Likes

As soon there’ll be a fungi bioblitz, if someone can help with shrooms of this project, 122 pages of them to id. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?project_id=bioraznoobrazie-leningradskoy-oblasti

1 Like

Sorry, no idea about fungi.

I will keep on doing what I did the whole week… Oxyopidae in Europe… 48 more pages to go :-)

3 Likes

as others have said, feel free to ping me to help overrule! I’m happy to help, at least for the taxa I’m more comfortable with.
Also please feel free to ping me if I’ve left an incorrect ID! I don’t always see an update to something I’ve IDed without a comment.

3 Likes

i started identifying Sugarcane Plume Grass (Saccharum giganteum) this morning since i thought they should be fairly unmistakable when in bloom, but then I realized how uncomfortable i am identifying these outside my local area, since I’m not sure what kind of lookalikes are out in other places. will have to do some research later today and then try again, if there’s time.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&quality_grade=needs_id&taxon_id=168276

4 Likes

Happy Friday! I think I’ll work on Mirabilis later

2 Likes

Still working through Alabamas backlog of non RG.

Decided to reverse sort because i got tired of the 10 same observation by 10 different students as they walk around the arboretum at a university in this state logging hundreds of observations in total.

Btw. Would arboretums be captive? Its outdoors done like a nature walk but it is arboretum. Natural stuff pops up but in general the shrubs and trees were planted on purpose for it - even tho in this spot theyre walking it is native species. I just thought of that. I havnt been marking as such before

1 Like

Mark captive and move on. You can always tell which students actually try and which only want to get their required observations for a good grade.

2 Likes

You can always choose to sort by Random. I do that pretty often.

3 Likes

If you wouldn’t mind, could we get some help with insect IDs at the nature preserve I volunteer for in southeast Texas? Since we started doing moth night events there has been a great influx on insect observations. It used to be mostly plants (which I try to keep up with).

ID all insects
ID Lepidoptera only

2 Likes

Still determined to clear Western Cape (can be done = is done, for now) and Rest of Africa (that’s a definite maybe = down to 300) before the Southern Bioblitz …

1 Like

Got distracted from my quest to the Oxyopidae in Europe quite a bit this week… only 8 pages down since last weekend…

but there was something weird going on in the Alopecosa-realm that took my attention (which kind of is resolved now I think) and of course the ongoing Argiope of the world… but those observations should soon become much more seldom in the northern territories where I ID those mainly

1 Like

Tried to help with the lepidoptera, not familiar directly with SE texas so didn’t have much to add as I’m less confident with that area than Alabama, but got a couple per page :)

I have Alabama’s backlog down below 2500 pages and got bored. (not that it’s cleared…but cleared of what I can help with)

4 Likes

I also had a look on the spiders but was not able to do much (I only know certain species of the north americas and don´t know about similar species for almost all others)… was only half a page anyways

Thanks for your help @egordon88 and @sunguramy

1 Like