#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

Helping with the bioblitz, time to learn fungi.

4 Likes

did 30 pages of Oxyopes… 10 left… might finish tomorrow :-)

3 Likes

I’d like to give a shoutout to @arboretum_amy for filling up my notifications with lots of IDs and helpful comments.

• Confirming/refining/correcting IDs I had made as first-pass guesses absolutely helps with learning: where was my hunch correct? where was a guess misplaced? where I had no idea, what can I now look up and learn more about? → indirect teaching, shows me what to learn about
  • Additional info on how to distinguish plants AND whether a species is distinctive/a safe ID → direct instruction
  • Just being a presence → more feeling of community, less… “loneliness?”, allows me to feel more comfortable expanding comfort zone and making mistakes (necessary for learning!) without worrying as much about errors going unchecked

it’s a very good thing! I’m very grateful having a much more knowledgeable person to guide/check/etc. I am trying to emulate pieces of that to the extent I’m able.

Hopefully things like this can make IDing more interesting, fun, or comfortable for other people as well.

11 Likes

sorry i dont know european species; i’ve gotten really good at some north american ones!

1 Like

There’re some (quite a few) species found on both continents, but there’re so many species, it’s really hard, I for now only can id about 50 out of thousands.

2 Likes

We get a lot of stereums and trichaptum photos here, and i’m only familar with the new stereum work in NA; I don’t know of any work done with europe yet. If trichaptums are the same I can def help with those, and same with some trametes if those are the same. Without knowing though i’d worry about miss-IDing

Great! I was a bit unsure how many comments would be too many comments, so I’m glad you are happy with this level.

If anyone else would like me to skim their plant IDs, let me know. Of course I’m most helpful in California but I might know cultivated plants elsewhere.

2 Likes

If you wish – take a look, there’re definitely some unided trichaptums.)

1 Like

Helpful comments are ripples in the pond. We were on a citrus obs yesterday and one of my trusted observers has now discovered the citrus identifier as you can see from their profile thumbnail, citrus all the way! Which lemon?

1 Like

I went through a few dozen pages :)

3 Likes

As always I’m open to check somebody’s observations!
Personally would like someone to go through my Steatoda observations, they’re ided to species and just need confirmation. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?user_id=marina_gorbunova&taxon_id=61998

I have been lurking for a few weeks on the forum learning more about iNat and identification. I’ve done a lot of unknowns. I have another 500 to do. After that, I’m planning to switch to improving my species level identifications for plants in the Yellowstone Ecosystem. I may also take a pass at all the plants Needs ID with coarse IDs, moving as many as possible to family or better.

15 Likes

We appreciate you!

3 Likes

@ajott thank you a lot!
I’m again asking to help with my project, around 3k of observations in needs id, many easy species: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?project_id=bioraznoobrazie-dereven-leningradskoy-oblasti

2 Likes

we have a few dozen plant observations in that region that need IDs if you’re interested

I added what I felt comfortable with, which isn’t much. :laughing:

1 Like

Thank you for the id’s and explanations!

It is - Friday in New Zealand
#GSB22 has started

https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/great-southern-bioblitz-2022-umbrella

5 Likes

I definitely won’t help since you aren’t asking :wink:

2 Likes

Still working on Alabama backlog…almost down to 2300 pages…end draws nearer! I’d love to get it to 0 by end of the year, I started back in early Spring.

(to clarify - i’m reviewing all the non-RG - i don’t have it down to that few overall - just that’s what left as I go thru and add what I can)

4 Likes