#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

No idea. Been seeing observations from them recently I guess; so i think newer to iNat but not new to nature. I did let them know that Im not following them; theyre just in the area I ID for and it was one of hundreds of IDs i gave that day. I dont pay attention to usernames xD

5 Likes

I don’t want to be rude but I find it rather strange that someone would get upset at another person for adding IDs to their observations. I thought that was the main purpose of iNaturalist, people interacting and exchanging their knowledge and making identifications for each other. I would be happy if a person went through my observations and added a lot of identifications… (as long as the identifications are accurate and meaningful of course, and not something completely random)

9 Likes

Oh, then this should be your actual response anytime this comes up! It’s what I use also because it’s true for me as well.

“I don’t pay attention to usernames, I’m just looking at the pictures and helping out where I can.”

A few years back there was someone I did exclude, and years later when I went back to some old obs without using that filter anymore, the person’s obs were all still there. I think I helped with them all by this year maybe.

6 Likes

Oh wow, I think I then id’d all the butterflies from your pile this week- so many in a bunch, it was really fun!

2 Likes

Just a note that blocking should be used for situations where you can’t get along with someone. “Muting” is for cases where you don’t want to be notified by someone’s IDs or comments.

6 Likes

Yay, thanks! I suspect a lot of them were duplicate photos or multiple photos of the same butterfly posted as separate observations by the same observer, but whatever - most of those observers hadn’t been back to iNat since last May, so they weren’t going to respond to a request to delete or merge their photos.

1 Like

The only time someone commented, “Can you stop following me?” it was a new user and yes I replied just that: I’m not following you, only using the site as a normally do. I look through all plant observations in this county, but if you don’t want to receive IDs from me, here’s a link to your account settings page where you can mute me.

10 Likes

I do look at observer’s name and avatar. It is part of the package - picture, map, notes, placeholder.

One left a comment - I only want my botany prof to add IDs … mm okay … skipped in future. But he seems to have mellowed after his kind bot prof explained about - social media - anyone can add an ID, it is how iNat works. (I am, working as intended)

4 Likes

Yeah it’s strange for sure. Everyone comes to iNat with different intentions, priorities, objectives, attitudes. Some are happy to live and let live, some - well, not so much.

I mostly ID, and only NZ spiders and insects. It’s a relatively small population of iNatters here I think, so we probably don’t have as much drama to deal with just based on sheer lack of volume. Long may that continue!

4 Likes

I agree that kind of context is important for many of our identifier workflows here! Speaking of which, if I notice anybody’s ids, it’s usually the identifiers’. Like, oh lynnharper! in my most recent example. ;)

3 Likes

Today (well, tomorrow for me, after sleep), I will be iding in Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug.
For anyone interested to help: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?order_by=updated_at&place_id=12867

1 Like

Ah thank you, i forgot about that function, if they continue to be annoyed I will recommend this.
(I never wanted to block, I just wanted to avoid upsetting them because it ain’t worth the hassle or confusion to me, so thank you for reminding me of the mute function)

5 Likes

All good. I forget about it too, sometimes.

1 Like

In case of interested parties here, this is now on my to-do list for SP23 semester:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/wiki-an-unknown-identifiers-tree-of-life-draft/38591

Ok, my identifier companions, here’s a question for you.

I took myself to the Smith College greenhouses in Northampton, MA, USA, this morning, because it is gray January and I needed to see green plants. (Also an extraordinary array of blooming orchids, in case you’re interested.) In the ground or gravel under the greenhouse benches were quite a few small weeds - or what I would call weeds, at any rate. Clearly, they had seeded or spored themselves from the potted plants above. Would you mark them as cultivated in iNat observations, or do they count as wild for you?

I haven’t gotten around to posting the photos yet, by the way, and I don’t really care whether they get marked cultivated or wild. I was just curious what you all think about this.

I’ve seen a lot of fights over this. My opinion: if you’re following the letter of the law for iNat’s definition of cultivated, then they are wild, but a lot of people find that a tough pill to swallow when the setting is indoors (greenhouse or home.) I actually saw Kueda mark a weed in an indoor potted plant as cultivated, even though the observer stated it was growing unintentionally and she didn’t know how it got there. Hard to argue with the founder of iNat.

4 Likes

Self-seeded is wild. But in a heated greenhouse … has to be ‘cultivated’?

2 Likes

Good point! And exactly why I asked the question.

I am sure there are currently spiders in my heated house - maybe even deermice, despite my best efforts. I think we would all agree those are wild, since to my knowledge no one has ever intentionally brought spiders or mice into this house as pets.

But I do have a bunch of houseplants (clearly cultivated) and ferns have germinated themselves from my cultivated plants into a few other pots. Does the fact I let the ferns stay mean they are cultivated?

Also, I bet some of the “weeds” in the greenhouse are seedlings from outside plants that aren’t cultivated (the Oxalis, for example). Does that make a difference?

4 Likes

Remember though, everyone’s got 1 countervote! Autopilot happens to us all. See pot = click x. Please countervote against me if you see that happened, thanks! ;)

3 Likes