iNat Milestones

I wrote original comment as carefully as I could to not make myself sound as I’m criticizing, so, I don’t know, it’s up to people to read it the way you described. How serious it is – climate is changing, so likely every request we make is serious, but I didn’t mean it.

3 Likes

The written medium is always a bit tricky, no matter what language :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Any quest for completeness in observing Angiosperms is going to take you to New Caledonia to see Amborella trichopoda, the only species in its genus, which itself is the only one in the family Amborellaceae and also the order Amborellales. Molecular phylogenetics shows that the lineage leading to this one species is most likely a sister to all other angiosperms.

At some point a little more recently than 245 million years ago, a very early angiosperm gave rise to two different lineages. One is now represented only by Amborella trichopoda and the other accounts for literally every other flowering plant. (OK, there’s an alternative view that the Nymphales descend from that same minority clade, but we don’t need to spoil a good story.)

17 Likes

Working on the CNC has now pushed me past 10,000

8 Likes

That’s fantastic! Congratulations and keep them coming!

1 Like

As of today, I’m at 800 observations.

4 Likes

I passed 1000 identifications for others at the beginning of this month, and have since passed 1100 IDs.

6 Likes

Hit 5000 obs and 1000 species very recently. Looking to hit 5000 ID’s within a couple of months too hopefully :)

5 Likes

I have reached 701 species.

7 Likes

I have 439 species for the Cape Peninsula (and many more to add from earlier hikes, eventually)

And almost 54K IDs for others. Still have a residue of 2K to work thru from CNC that has just closed. Which makes me realise that some of what I can ID, I need to add as my own obs too.

7 Likes

Well… at 19,757 IDs made for others, I guess I’ll set 20,000 as a reasonable milestone to reach for.

7 Likes

You’ll get there by the end of the week!

2 Likes

iNat hit 100 million observations recently! https://www.inaturalist.org/observations

10 Likes

plus another 34K already!

Make that 900.

4 Likes

My milestone? Surpassing @tiwane in global species count :wink: (not a competition, I just happened to notice) Also, leaf taxa is a different kettle of fish…

7 Likes

My own milestone is 50,000 IDs made for others. I thought I might as well record it here as it will probably be a few more years before I hit 100k. While iNat grows exponentially, I don’t think my ID rate is growing at all!

I guess that does mean that for every 2,000 verifiable observations on iNat I have added 1 identification. I have a lot of respect for the 500 people who have contributed more than 50k IDs to iNat!

22 Likes

Thanks to Facebook for this info. Haven’t seen it mentioned on iNat itself.

One man. One. Million! IDs. South African bulbs and succulents.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&view=identifiers

Every day he quietly beavers away … another 2K meanwhile.

4 Likes

Yeah, but he also agrees with RG observations, I had to mute him not to see all of those constantly.

I value his agreements and I value his wide and deep knowledge of our many and varied bulbs. (It is too easy on iNat for 2 people to agree, and both, be wrong)

7 Likes