iNatting in video games

when our kids were younger, we signed them up for wolfquest with parental supervision because there was interaction with other players online (dial-up lol). It taught some habitat and conservation. Their favorites included Bird Island, which had missions to photograph specific birds for magazines. The game would rate the quality of your photo (five stars! Cover shot!). Their other favorite was Zoo Tycoon, which did teach some basic taxonomy.

2 Likes

I enjoyed Pokemon Snap when I was a kid, trying to get the perfect pictures. I think that was my first Nintendo 64 game actually. I have the cartridge still even but sadly I had to get rid of my 64s to help pay for bills.

Iā€™d spend a loooooooooooong time fishing in Okami. Not as impressive as a list as Animal Crossing but still enough to have me attempting to catch everything for up to an hour or more sometimes.

Monster Hunter World, the second most recent title in the mainline games, had you actually going out to study the monsters and not just immediately slay them which was a huge 180 from what the games were all about up to that point. You still gotta kill them but World was probably the first of the games to have you really looking at them as animals and not just Super Scary Beasts. I mean if you arenā€™t familiar with the lore of the game some of them are confirmed absolutely as Super Scary Beasts capable of mass destruction yeah, trueā€¦ but not all of them. And World really expanded on this fact that a good amount of these creatures youā€™re slaughtering are in fact, just animals apart of an ecosystem. I havenā€™t played it, but I look forward to it someday. In the meantime I play the Stories side games which has you befriending the monsters which Iā€™m much more about honestly xD

1 Like

Yeah, I had a blast with Endless Ocean Blue World too!! Some of the critters proved a lot of trouble to find, curse you Spotted Box Crab!! The placement of animals is not very accurate to their true ranges (Little Penguins on a south Pacific coral reef, Japanese Monkfish in the Mediterranean, Alligator Gars in the Amazon, and African Penguins in Antarctica), but itā€™s a hell of a lot better than it was in the original Endless Ocean game, which had everything on a south Pacific coral reef - even Polar Bears!

I assume the ā€œalbino alligatorā€ is King Gigide? Despite being referred to as a ā€œcrocodileā€ in-game, it uses the same model as the Spectacled Caiman, and is presumably a caiman as well.

1 Like

Ah yes that sounds right. Itā€™s been so long since I last played it that I forgot some details.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.