iNaturalist App Crashes when using Explore function or Loading an Observation

I noticed the app crashing when losing wifi, and when the explore function used. Leaving app and reintering fixed mine though. I have recently logged out to clear the cash as well.

Same as everybody else.

Clicking an observation, or explore, instantly crashes. All apps and OS are up to date, rebooting doesn’t help.

App version 1.18.5 (411)

Android version 8.0.0.

Since this started I used google maps to navigate to my girlfriend’s place with no problem.

My iNaturalist directory is the biggest on my phone, at 1.11 GB, which seems ridiculous. What would even be in that? 718MB data, 300MB cache. Those numbers were reported by another app. The numbers from app info are total: 1.20GB, app: 55.19MB, data: 754 MB, cache: 387MB.

For a touch of variety, I cleared data and not cache, and that fixed it.

Hi iNatrualists!

Glad to know I’m not the only one having this problem. Have we been able to ideintify a

resolution steps yet? Or they still working on it?

Thanks so much!

Happy Observing!

1 Like

I posted the current workaround that Google suggests a bit earlier up this thread. It seems to be working for folks. But for a complete fix we have to wait for Google.

You can track the issue at https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/154855417

1 Like

To summarize the latest update from Google:

• They’re not sure when they will have a fix.
  • They’re now recommending app developers deploy workaround code in their individual apps and release new app versions.
  • For individual users they still recommend clearing the app data (reminder: make sure all your observations are uploaded first) and/or uninstalling and reinstalling the app.
3 Likes

I second clearing data. That fixed it, for me.

1 Like

Hello everyone.
I performed the procedures that were talked about here in this forum, but the error still persists. Should I wait or is there anything else I can do?
Thankful

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! If you’ve cleared the app data and uninstalled/reinstalled the app, unfortunately I don’t think there’s anything left to try.
The report from Google says

We are also aware of customer reports where clearing the application data or uninstalling and reinstalling the application has not fixed the issue, and we are continuing to investigate the issue.

Hopefully there will be a fix soon!

2 Likes

ok will try this too.

• edit: 1) deleted the app, 2) cleared cache, 3) reinstalled the app.
    worked out in my case
1 Like

Another Google update:

They are now rolling out a fix on their end via the Google Play Store. Individual users can’t force this update to happen, it should just happen automatically at some point. I can confirm personally that my iNat app is back to working as usual after my Play Store updated.

Platform:
Android

App version number:
1.18.4 (411)

Description of problem:
From the observations page on my phone I cannot click on any of them anymore. Now the app just shuts down after a few seconds pause. It also does this if I try to click in an observation from the activities page.

1 Like

This is a problem from Google Maps, they’re rolling out a fix right now. If you don’t want to wait, you can try clearing the app data (make sure all your observations are uploaded first) and/or uninstalling/reinstalling the app.

2 Likes

Google says they’re done rolling out the fix, so I’m going to mark this as solved.

2 Likes

Thanks @jwidness!