iNaturalist Bingo: a monthly observation quest!

Bingo!

https://nornagon.github.io/inat-bingo/#1069

Well, that was fun! The county level was easier for me than the town, which would require some driving to get to a wetlands. If I actually get out to a wetlands this month, I’ll work on my town card, and the state card as well, which also requires some wetland species.

Thanks for this great diversion!

3 Likes

Does this work with the Safari browser on the iPhone? I only got a blank screen.

Yes it does. Works for me

Just looked at my bingo card again after not doing so since my last comment 6 days ago, and now I do have some species ticked off on the card. Hooray!

I don’t think I will get a bingo this month though, as to do so I would have to see a venomous snake I would prefer never to see, or a beetle I have never seen.

Thanks for the fun. Looking forward to seeing what is on the card next month. This month’s has 7 species of dragonfly/damselfly (only 2 of which I have ever seen), and 3 species of one genus of tiny beetles. Hoping for easier things to find next month!

2 Likes

Got bingo for Hardin Co, Texas. All my observations were done yesterday at Big Thicket Turkey Creek Unit. I had an easy time finding Crowded Parchment fungus, Oriental False Hawksbeard, Japanese Climbing Fern, and American Beech. I wandered around for a while trying to find a Swamp Chestnut Oak. Eventually I found a few leaves on the ground but couldn’t find the tree. The leaves were in an area that flooded recently so the tree(s) must be somewhere upstream. I made an observation just using a leaf. I took photos of more species on the card that just aren’t in that row. I’ll post my card after I finish making obs for them all.

I remembered thinking that Tyler Co bingo wouldn’t be such a sure thing. I decided to try to add any species I could get though. I just looked at the card again and saw that I got check marks for species on the Tyler Co card that I actually recorded in Hardin Co. Hmmm… am I glad it’s easier or sad it’s not more challenging? :thinking:

Edit:

2 Likes

I almost bingoed for January.

I could have done better with more time, but I only discovered the right location to use a couple of days ago. With a whole month to work on February, I am hoping for more success.

It is February here now, but the January card is still showing. I guess I have to wait until some different time zone to reach Feb to see what I need to look for this month?

1 Like

Wow, didn’t know about this. I’ll have to check it out!

So the green ticks you show in the top image - does the system let you tick what you’ve seen or have you just used a snapshot and ticked them off yourself? I’ve loaded for my area but couldn’t find out how to mark off what I have seen - clicking on an image just takes you to an observation.

1 Like

How do I check my January results? I do not think I got a bingo, but I observed a few of the species shown in my county.

Observed species are automatically ticked off.

Should we make a rule regarding multiple place cards? I was thinking you can only use a card for a place you have gone during the month, but since the check marks don’t account for where you saw the organism, then where you saw it won’t matter.

Oh, so as long as we upload the observations in our account they are ticked off on the bingo sheet? Thanks, that makes sense.

2 Likes

It might be too late once the next month starts. I found that the February card appeared sometime yesterday. I clicked on the link I have created for myself, and it was showing new stuff for Feb.

Maybe you just have to remember to look at it on the last day of the month?

It’s so cool idea! I suppose it will make my experience with iNaturalist more captivating and enthralling.

2 Likes

How is everyone going with the February bingo card? I’ve got 4 in a row, but the missing one is likely to stay missing as that particular plant flowered in January this year (the last observation was on 31st January), and when not flowering it dies back to nothing above the ground.
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/492231-Dipodium-pardalinum
So I need to work on some of the other rows/columns!

I have https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/161971-Ditrichum-pallidum on my card. I’m not sure if this is the correct species: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/106520245

I also have green tree frog on my card but I think this one might be a squirrel tree frog: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/106519388

I tried to get a shot of a little brown skink but he was too fast. I’m going to try to go out and photograph some plants tomorrow.

That sounds tricky! You need a moss expert and a frog expert to identify them for you.

What a fun idea! I just discovered this so I’m just getting started but the first hit on the February card for my county is crawling all over the house right now (Asian ladybeetle). Quite a few should be observable at the bird feeder in the yard, but for some of the plants I’ll have to get out into the woods for a chance to see them. Already had some discussions with local birders about the chance to see a seagull here in the mountains and they confirmed that yes, you can occasionally see one in town in early spring. I had no idea!

1 Like

If i find a big one then i will know for sure. Squirrel tree frogs don’t get as big as green tree frogs. Also if the individual has spots (they don’t always), a green tree frog will have yellow spots and a squirrel tree frog will have brown spots. I do need an expert for the moss though.

I doubt I will be able to get a bingo in a week I’ll be here, but 3 days in and at least I observed some.

2 Likes