iNaturalist Bingo: a monthly observation quest!

I thought further up the page here there was discussion of limiting the bingo species to ones that had been seen a certain number of times? But perhaps that wasn’t implemented? I’ve noticed on my March card there is an endangered species, which when I checked, has only ever been seen once in the area my card covers.

Cool idea, hard to accomplish in the winter though. More of summer activity for us in Canada.

But when summer does roll around, I’ll be playing iNaturalist Bingo!

Oh, and could an element of randomization be added? I get the same species every time I load the link. There won’t be much repeatability in its current form

I suggested that but then realized that cards wouldn’t get filled up. So we settled for using only research grade observations.

It’s supposed to stay the same. You don’t get a new card until the next month.

Edit: I check a few different places so I can get different cards.
Edit 2: You could try Ontario, Southeastern Ontario, York county, Great Lakes basin, etc.

1 Like

So it’s based on the month. That makes sense, thank you.

It only shows you what was observed within this month, so you should be able to find those shown in bingo now.

Alright, thank you.

Can’t wait to start!

2 Likes

Thank you, that makes sense. Using only RG obs is a good idea too.

1 Like

Bingo for March, at last!

2 Likes

That’s great! Congratulations.

I’m a bit discouraged, as I just checked my card and it has all changed! I last looked at it 4 days ago when I observed a pelican, which was on my March card. I was pretty happy about that as I did not expect to see one this month. But now the pelican, and several other species I had already observed, have disappeared off the card. And all month I have been looking for one particular species of ladybird beetle which was on the card, and now it has gone and a different species is there.

I’m not sure why, but the cards change pretty frequently. Perhaps the cards get updated as species fall into or out of eligibility to appear on the card. If you do get bingo, take a snapshot (screen capture) right away, because your bingo could disappear as the card changes.

1 Like

I added observations for the locations that didn’t have 25 species yet for a full card. I haven’t seen any updates on those incomplete cards, even after new observations gained RG status. I therefore assume that the cards are based on all observations during that month for previous years, but not the current month/year. I suspect any changes to cards are due to observations falling out of being eligible, e.g. changes to their ID/RG status.

I also noticed that it happens when an observation falls in and out of the location due to being obscured.

I’ve overcome my disappointment at the changing card. But, @nornagon could you please explain why the cards can change so much in the middle of the month?

I don’t think I will get bingo this month (yet again). I have 2 sets of 4-in-a-row so far, with 2 days to find the missing ones…

Bingo!

It took me until the afternoon of the last day of the month, but I found a badge huntsman spider and completed a full column:

How’s everyone else going? I’m looking forward to April.

3 Likes

Congrats! My plate contains lots of plants from warmer years, current European storm and new snow falling means no bingo for me.

1 Like

I was pretty busy so I didn’t play for March

My time to get out was earlier in the month when not much was up yet and I mostly focused on filling in gaps for locations that were missing enough species to fill up a card. I still have to process and upload most of those pictures, and then wait for confirming IDs to get them to RG, but hopefully those efforts will contribute to having full cards to play with for March next year. The cards for this month are just screaming spring wildflower hikes. One of the State Parks has almost all plants with just two birds mixed in. If I can take time out of my busy work schedule, that should be an easy Bingo. And yet another one has “no species” again - I guess I know which park to target for hikes this month if I have the time.

2 Likes

This is my card for April. I got a hybrid!