iNaturalist Bingo: a monthly observation quest!

That’s funny! On my card I have the Pacific Black Duck which also hybridises with mallards. I have done 2 observations of PBDs, in the hope that at least one of them will turn out not to be a hybrid.

Do you really see goldfish in the wild?

I looked into it, and YES, wild Goldfish do exist in the wild in Toronto, most likely due to people releasing their pets into the environment. These aren’t the tiny, store-bought Goldfish kept in bowl, no, no, no. Without any spacial constraints, Goldfish will grow to HUGE sizes and live up to 15 YEARS! It would be very interesting to find one swimming about.

https://inaturalist.ca/observations?place_id=6712&taxon_id=58612

1 Like

Gonna try this for the first month now, but is it possible to get scientific or local names instead of English? I don’t know the English names that well, and on my cell phone the text covers most of the image, so I have to click the link to understand what the species are.

You should be able to do that by changing the language preferences in your account settings (under Content & Display) before you click the link. I was able to get the cards with names in German for the family overseas.

1 Like

This is my first time making much of an effort with inaturalist bingo. I think it’s a fantastic idea; combination of a scavenger hunt and bingo.

I’m a bit confused by the cards.My bingo card seems to change all the time during the month. Is that how it’s supposed to be?

4/6/22 at 10:26 am

4/6/22 at 7:51 am

• Mountain lion was substituted for the millipede
  • Great horned owl sub for bitterroot
  • Wester wallflower sub for stinging nettle
  • Red ribbons sub for Five-finger Fern

I would recommend screenshotting your cards to avoid the card changing.

PS… today I was looking to add a Two-horned Gall Wasp (yet again) to my card. I felt a bit frustrated as I found them so frequently in our warm February and March, and then I could not find any for bingo.

But, while I was hunting today, the zephyr winds of fortune swirled around me! I spotted a timema (omg - squealing silently!), and when I moved my phone to see if I could get a different angle on it, WHOA - there was a two-horned gall wasp ~right under~ it!

timema:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/110584648

Two-horned gall wasp with tip of the timema’ s tail showing on the leaf above:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/110584593

Putting April’s here, so I remember to follow up. My best shot is the second row or fifth column.

Okay, so now I infer this is an beta version bug, then?

Well, yes, that would work; but I like seeing the app add the check marks (juvenile, I know :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

1 Like

Changing cards are also explained by my comments I did above. For Bogota a lot of non wild species where included so I started using this card to spot those species and casualize them… Then they also fall out of the card system… so maybe in your regions something like this happened as well

1 Like

Bingo! For an old card, it also got changed for me.

1 Like

Way to go!

And…Bingo for April! the changing cards are actually a bit fun. Moving targets!

4 Likes

Things aren’t looking so good. I’ve only observation ONE species on my card, a Black-Capped Chickadee. Though I might have observed a second, I’ll find out when I upload it.

Sheesh, April was not my month.

1 Like

I believe my card changed at least 3 or 4 times so far this month and there is still a week to go.

1 Like

I took a screen shot at the beginning of April, to compare with the end, and there were no changes for me. However I still failed to get a bingo:

I was a bit all over the place, with a few 3s but no chance of 5 in a row.

Looking forward to seeing the May card in a few hours!

2 Likes

At least you got more than two species!

1 Like

Didn’t do so well…

1 Like

Better luck in May!
Which reminded me I had forgotten to look at the new card because I was out doing CNC observations.
So I already have 4 of the May card ticked before I even looked at it.

1 Like

Bingo for May! This month I got an easy card…

5 Likes