iNaturalist Mobile App Development News

I moved this post/thread to the main thread because it is a question about the most recent post on this thread

1 Like
  • (ditto) *

Thank you, the link is something to look at at least. though not an overview, nor schedule, it lists progress points. ( no Androids here - hence, the keen interest in the improved feature set promised for iPhone)

Until there’s a public beta (which wouldn’t be ready for months at minimum, I imagine) it’s not really possible to share specific benchmarks as various parts are being worked on and/or refined simultaneously. And something that we thought was working might end up needing more work. We have multiple great people working on this and making progress every day - it will be ready when it’s ready. I know that’s not a satisfying answer, but I think it’s preferable to making a prediction and missing it - which we’ve done a few times already, and no one (especially our team) is happy or satisfied with that.

More broadly, this is not simply making an app that has the same functionality as the current Android app and calling it a day. This is building something new from the ground up, using completely different code, new designs and workflows, new functionality, etc. Add to that goals like making it more accessible and including better descriptions for new users, and it’s a lot of work - more than we originally expected, hence the very optimistic original predicted completion date. I do apologize for that. Thanks for your patience and continued support.

16 Likes

Excited to see it, thanks Tony!

2 Likes

:pensive: That sounds a bit dismissive, rather than unsatisfying.

Given that they’re building an all-new platform with limited resources and no commercial requirement to meet a deadline, I think “ready when it’s ready” is a reasonable explanation. But then I don’t use the iOS app much except to get photos off of my iPhone and onto the site.

I’m involved as a contributor to a book project right now that has been 12 years in the making and only now is it nearing actual publication. I once told our editor – somewhat snarkily – that “I look forward to its posthumous publication.”

6 Likes

Do you know if faster and easier uploading or adding of observations is involved ? I only use a minor part (5% of the app) of the app many, milions of times so if adding an observation is a bit faster or easier it is a huge win for me. I would prefer less functionaly above more.

As stated above I installed it on an Android phone, used is for a day and found out that the old Android app is more usefyull then this one. Upload of observations with photo did work.

1 Like

I hope it doesn’t start uploading in my pocket so much. And that the GPS precision gets better. Though that may be the fault of my phone not the iNat app

3 Likes

Just came to say I would absolutely love an inbox option for ios. I am hoping there will be an update for that in the future. I have notifications sent to email but I missed a message that was almost a month past. It would be so helpful to have this option as I have had people reach out to use my photos for papers.

2 Likes