Incorporate basic image editing tools (crop, rotate)

Is the eventual plan to also add it to the “photo review” screen, such as to the right of the blue check-mark button? I’d expect an “edit photo” button there.

I pretty much always free crop. I rarely specific-ratio crop, e.g. if I’m printing photos for my grandma :) Almost never “original” crop. Free crop is the default in most image editing apps I’ve used.

2 Likes

No. When you take a new photo in the app, the app is just calling out to the operating system and saying “hey, I need a camera here” and the OS either asks you to choose a camera app or launches one based on what’s available or your prior preference. We don’t have any control over what that camera app looks like or how it behaves. All we know is that it’s going to let you take a picture and when it’s done return a photo file to the iNaturalist app.

We could launch some kind of interstitial screen when we get that file back that let’s you edit, but IMO that would be more annoying than helpful, since it would add an extra step to the observing flow that is generally unnecessary.

We could also build our own camera instead of relying on external ones, but I guarantee that would not be satisfying for the majority of users. To my knowledge, most manufacturer-provided cameras use undocumented APIs or hardware assistance that aren’t available to 3rd party developers like us, so a Google camera on a Google phone or a Samsung camera on a Samsung phone is always going to be better than any other camera app you might install. I guess I should say that’s been my experience, and I assume that’s why, but I have never been able to verify the claim.

2 Likes

Right, thanks. And yeah, definitely agree another screen asking if I wanted to edit it would be annoying. Strange that Google (Pixel 3) doesn’t have some sort of edit option built in there.

1 Like

I don’t load much from my app but did join the beta program. Took a couple of shots at the feeder through the window, back lit, needed cropping. It was pretty straightforward to edit the image in the app, - cropped them, changed the brightness, changed the contrast, uploaded and both reached Research Grade within one hour - 1 Spotted Towhee, 1 Dark Eyed Junco. I usually use a DSLR so the initial image quality was not great (limited by the phones hardware) but I have submitted worse images produced by the DSLR. I liked having the edit capability within the Android App. This flexibility will definitely help with my app uploads - probably encourage more.

1 Like

It was an observation which I have duplicated via the browser.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/37586750

In the app I’ve edited then the first picture and preview stayed blurry.

I don’t remember anymore how I’ve uploaded the original pictures. I guess via the app

I’ve checked now again and preview pictures turned out to be fine now. It was white today before synchronization ;)

“Editieren” could be used.
And I also think the the captions are not necessarily needed. The symbols are self explanatory.

how about adding an edit button to the observation photo detail when not in editing mode?

2 Likes

I’m into it, but maybe table for a later release: https://github.com/inaturalist/iNaturalistAndroid/issues/770

2 Likes

For my own observations, I try to do all my destructive image editing (cropping, rotating, and other edits) before uploading. My iNat usage is website(95%) and iPhone app(5%), so to be honest I’m indifferent to incorporating these tools on the mobile app. I’m more interested in having access to some of these photo manipulation features for other people’s observations (such as you’ve done by allowing us to adjust brightness). In that context, zooming and rotating, like brightness, can be very helpful for making IDs. For now, I’ve started using the following Firefox add-on for zooming and rotating images: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/rotate-and-zoom-image/. Works great in the Needs ID modal.

3 Likes

If we could zoom in on the image, instead of waiting forever for the full image to load - that would be a vast improvement.

3 Likes

Do you mean in the app or on the website?

I am (always) on the website

2 Likes

Any plans on adding the basic editing tools to the browser/desktop version?

2 Likes

I believe so, but it would be fairly low priority as there’s plenty of free software available for basic image editing on computers. With mobile apps, you’re (oftentimes) taking a photo within the iNat app, so there’s a greater need for these tools in the mobile apps.

1 Like

Thanks for the mention of Firefox add-on.
Now to find a way to automate cropping of my moth photos. I experimented with changing the crop on my camera, but ironically, taking pictures in square crop mode gives less wiggle room to rotate & crop later. And cuts out the possibility of “finding” little surprises in the edges of my photos.

I just discovered we can at least rotate images in the website application.
Under the Photo,
Click View Original
Click Rotate Right (or Left)

So, there is that.

4 Likes

I can do all that on my Android version of the app - attached is a screenshot. Crop, Bright, Contrast etc. I use it frequently.

Same, but the feature request is for multiple platforms, and while I’ve had this functionality in Android (as Kueda mentioned in the Jan 2020 post), it’s still not in iOS, and the website only has the rotation, I think.

2 Likes

Is there any news on adding a cropping function to the ios app? That would be really good to have.

1 Like

I guess both apps are frozen… But I have good news. If you want to have a cropping fucntion in the app you can buy an Android phone. Works fine with one exception …

No, we wom’t be adding it to the current app, as we’re only working on bug fixes for it at the moment. See https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/inaturalist-mobile-app-development-news/27157