Intellectual property rights and license of inaturalist.org

I am putting together a rack card for our City Nature Challenge about iNat. I’d like to include the website but the terms of service says this:

All trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with iNaturalist or the Platform, including iNATURALIST, iNATURALIST.ORG, iNAT, and the iNaturalist Bird Logo Design, are trademarks or registered trademarks of iNaturalist, the Academy, National Geographic or iNaturalist’s Users or other third parties. Your use of the Platform grants You no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any iNaturalist or third-party trademarks for any purposes.

Is there an existing file that I could print?

are you asking for logos? iNaturalist staff seem to be fairly open to others using their logos for publicity (probably assuming it’s not going to end up diminishing the brand somehow). see https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/may-i-use-the-inaturalist-logo-to-link-to-project-on-a-blog/2978/3.

2 Likes

As in you want to know if it’s ok to link to iNat? That’s fine.

As far as add a logo goes, it’s OK, as long as

• it’s clear that iNaturalist, the California Academy of Sciences, and the National Geographic Society are not endorsing you or your use of iNat.
  • you don’t use the bird or wordmark on their own. please use them together.
6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.