May I use the iNaturalist Logo to link to Project on a Blog?

Hello!

My task is to overhaul/ update our Master Naturalist website and my first stop is to create sidebar link to our project to our iNaturalist project.
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/bptmn-blackland-prairie-texas-master-naturalists

On our home page https://txmn.org/bptmn/, I would like to use the iNaturalist Logo in the Top Left of the iNat home page, then when it is clicked on from our blog it will route to our iNat Project?

I searched through your forum and could not find a topic related to this request.
Please let me know if it is ok, if not is there another way to do this?

iNat%20Logo%20Link

Good question! The iNaturalist Terms of Service state:

1. Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer to You any iNaturalist or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with iNaturalist. All trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with iNaturalist.org, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of iNaturalist and the Academy, or iNaturalist’s licensors. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants You no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any iNaturalist or third-party trademarks.

This implies that you cannot use any iNaturalist branding or logos in your own site. Having said that, have you seen the observations widget?

It contains the iNaturalist logo, and is supplied for the express purpose of placing on your blog or other external site…

1 Like

Hi @bptxmn, welcome! Apologies for the delay. Using the iNaturalist logo to add a link to your iNaturalist project from the Master Naturalists page is definitely ok. You don’t need our approval to use the logo in editorial contexts (i.e. writing about iNaturalist) or referral contexts (what you’re doing here with linking to an iNaturalist project page).

I recommend that you use one of the logos available on our press page. For convenience I’m also uploading just the iNaturalist wordmark here that you can use without the bird attached or .org.

Logo_iNaturalist

Thanks for checking the Terms of Service, @mftasp. It’s intended more to clarify that you can’t use our logo to go make & sell “iNaturalist binoculars” or something. I will note that we should try to clarify permission for the use case @bptxmn describes.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.