iOS app = android app WHEN?

See this post: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/inaturalist-mobile-app-development-news/27157

Basically we’re rewriting a new app from the ground up that will be usable on both platforms and thus not spending much developer time on the current apps, other than to fix bugs. Even with the new developers we’ve added recently, it’s still a big job. It definitely won’t be ready before this year’s City Nature Challenge. Beyond that I can’t say. I’m sorry it’s taking so long, but that’s the reality of the situation.

It’s for a few reasons, but as far as I know it’s not due to Apple being a problem (Android is often more difficult to develop for, as it’s implemented differently across so many devices from tons of manufacturers).

• our iOS app came first and was written with old code. That code had to be changed out before we could add more features which took years. This wasn’t the case for our Android app.

• our iOS dev also leads computer vision development, whereas our Android developer only worked on Android.

12 Likes