Is there a way to see or curate species thumbnail contributions?

After contributing my own photos to an empty species thumbnail just moments ago, I suddenly realized that I don’t know of a way to check how many of these I have done to date (and I’ve done quite a few). If there is not already a way to check this, would it perhaps be a feature worth considering for the iNat team?

I guess I should take this opportunity to also ask for a way to curate and manage this process because, as of right now, any Tom, Dick or Harry can upload images he thinks represents a particular species but infact is a photo of a different species entirely

2 Likes

There is not, so a feature request would be appropriate. I think this would be a helpful addition.

While this is possible, I don’t think it’s as common as people adding correct photos. I wish more people knew how to edit them, because there are so many flags for incorrect photos that curators can’t verify themselves.

4 Likes

I also wondered that. I have done hundreds of thumnail edit in the past, both adding photo in a empty thumbnail and correcting wrong ones. Also I am keen to change thumnail to a better photo since quite a lot of species thumnail photos are not of high quality or not showing all of the characteristics.
(If there is a wrong photo in the species thumnail, it can be deleted via taxon page. Curation→Edit photos)

However, I think thumnail edit should only be allowed to limited people (maybe curators) because some users may want their own photos to be thumnails and may replace selected high-quality photos to their photos just for their satisfication (unless their photos are actually better than the existing thumnails).
At the moment any user can edit thumnails, but I do not see this happening too frequently, probably because it is not very easy to find out how to edit thumnails.

2 Likes

Having some kind of log and requiring leaving a comment every time someone changes the taxon photos would be helpful. If anyone is a repeat offender of using incorrect photos or explicitly their own, that makes it traceable. Side note, nothing wrong with using your own photos - I often use mine because there aren’t better high-quality alternatives - but using your own wrongly IDed or low-quality photo is fishy. Restricting it to curators would be too limiting.

Some way to track taxon photo changes is a good feature request. Being able to lock a popular taxon that gets way too many photo changes (maybe curator changes only in this case) could also be useful.

3 Likes

We have a (new) history for taxon name changes. I think we talked about a history for the photos on that thread too.

2 Likes

Not entirely topical, but one thing I wish for is the ability to choose a specific photo for a thumbnail by searching by phenology or even by something like observation ID. There are some taxa with have hundreds, or thousands of observations, I’ll take a really good photo which I want to add to replace a mediocre photo, but no matter how many times I hit “next” I can never find it to add.

2 Likes

You can already do this! Just select Observations from the drop-down menu and then put the observation number/id in the search box (not the full url, just the id number).

6 Likes

Would be nice if that prompt for choosing this picture was in mouseover text there.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.