Kalmiopsis Typo: Cached Wikipedia Vandalism

This is my first post to the forum and I’m sorry if the topic makes it seem like a joke.

I traded emails with Tony about this last night and now I’m curious:

"
On Sun, Sep 10, 2023, 9:32 PM iNaturalist Support <help@inaturalist.org> wrote:

Hi,
As noted at the end of the text in your screenshot, that information is imported from Wikipedia, it doesn’t originate on iNaturalist. Looks like that’s been fixed on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmiopsis You might have a cached version with that text in the app. Try logging out of the app and logging back in, then going to that taxon page in the app - it should be changed.
Tony

On Sun, 10 Sep at 9:19 PM , Humble Roots <humbleroots@gorge.net> wrote:
To whom it may concern,
I came across this typo on the android app, it doesn’t seem to be on the desktop version (or Wikipedia).
On the description for the genus Kalmiopsis it states: “Kalmiopsis is a small genus of flowering plants in the heath family. It contains two vaginas, which are endemic to Oregon in the United States.”
I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be …contains two SPECIES… not vaginas.
A screenshot is attached.
Thought y’all would like to know.
Thanks for the wonderful resource, keep up the good work! -Drew
"

I tried Tony’s suggestion of logging out and back in and it is still there.

I have very minimal tech intelligence (it pretty much ended with MS-DOS) but my question is this:

If it’s correct on Wikipedia (page was last updated 11 months ago) and on the web version of iNat, and iNat is importing this text from Wikipedia, how can this occur?

Is anyone else seeing this? (maybe this should have been my first question)

1 Like

I just checked, and I get the “two vaginas” text like the OP’s screenshot. This is in the Android app, version 1.29.11 (585). It’s not likely to be cached – I’ve never looked up the genus in the app. The iNat web genus description and Wikipedia both have “two species”, and the Wikipedia edit history doesn’t find any instances of “vaginas”

. Perhaps this thread belongs in bug reports?

Anyway yeah that sucks. Hope we can find some way to fix it.

2 Likes

Someone thought they were funny https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kalmiopsis&oldid=802161365

3 Likes

I think it’s a cached instance of Wikipedia vandalism.

1 Like

The taxon page itself on iNat is fine, but the search page still contains the typo, see:
https://www.inaturalist.org/search?q=kalmiopsis

So iNat still has the old version hanging around in a cache somewhere.

I’ve changed the post title, not because I think it is incorrect, but because it does show up on the forum widget on iNat’s main page where it might be surprising for some users.

3 Likes

Thanks for tracking that down!
Learned something new about Wikipedia too.
And I agree with the topic title change, didn’t mean to come across as blunt or inconsiderate.

1 Like

No worries, I don’t think it was blunt or inconsiderate - just descriptive (though I teach Anatomy and Physiology and realize that my comfort with certain things is higher than for most folks).

2 Likes

I’m getting this thing on the iOS app too.

Should be fixed now - you might need to close and restart app. For Curators: we just needed to referesh the wikipedia article. Looks like maybe our automatic Wikipedia refresh doesn’t refresh the article summary.

5 Likes

How odd. it seems too obscure to be a target of wikipedia vandalism, but who knows.

1 Like

Lost some of the text, but no mention of vaginas. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.