Keep Android app news tab in order of original publication date

Platform(s), such as mobile, website, API, other: Android App, website

URLs (aka web addresses) of any pages, if relevant: https://www.inaturalist.org/blog and others; “news” tab of android app

Description of need:
Describe the iNaturalist community need that your requested feature addresses. Include screenshots, URLs, and other details to help us all understand the issue.
On the Android app “news” tab, articles are displayed/timestamped in order of date updated/edited, not date orginally published. This gets confusing on days like today (December 22) when 6 older articles have been edited in the last day or two and are now timestamped more recently than the actual most recent blog post (currently the observation of the week featuring the mantid.)

Feature request details:
In detail, describe the feature you are requesting. This includes its functionality, where the feature is implemented, and what it might look like. Screenshots or mock-ups are helpful. The idea is to have a concrete and actionable request which the community can discuss and vote on. It might change through discussion, but it’s much easier to iterate and talk about something specific.
This could be solved by changing the app coding to keep the posts in order of original publication. Or a somewhat less good work-around would be to require every iNat blog post to state the date in the title (observation of the week does this already but other news entries do not.)

I approved this, not sure if it’s a bug or intentional. I can ask our developer after the holidays.

1 Like

I also noticed this and just assumed it was a bug.

1 Like

Could be. I was guessing it had to do with someone making minor edits to the articles, but I don’t know that for sure.

1 Like

I noticed this many times and finally decided to post this, only to find out some beat me to it. Great! Here is the screenshot I took in the Android app:

1 Like

OK, I’ve been told this sounds like a bug so I recategorized it and made a Github issue: https://github.com/inaturalist/iNaturalistAndroid/issues/1322

2 Likes