Panoquina panoquinoides

1 Like

Zingle zingle - A Zingle
Trachycorystes trachycorystes - A black catfish
Torpedo torpedo - A Torpedo

1 Like

Zingle zingle???

Yep, that exists! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zingel_zingel

Oh, and a subspecies is awaiting confirmation by taxonomists: Zingel zingel zingel.

Edit : If that subspecies goes through, it will be a quadruple tautonym since it also has a common name of “Zingel”

Edit 2 : Sorry for the typos of “Zingle” instead of “Zingel”!

2 Likes

As opposed to the K-pop spelling version which has nothing to do with fish.

1 Like

jnstuart do you monitor this topic? you literally started replying as soon as I posted that.

Just happened to be looking at it. Zingle sounded like an animal that the eminent taxonomist, Dr Seuss, might have described.

4 Likes

That is an excellent name! I originally checked iNaturalist and didn’t find it because I looked for “Zingle” and the fish’s name is spelled “Zingel”. But either way, excellent. I can only assume that the K-pop band was singing about a fish.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has yet mentioned the very fine lizard Plica plica

Oh, I missed that game!!

Martes martes

Learned that one today :)

1 Like

I’m still playing at trying to find an exception to @engelhard 's statement that no species was ever originally described with a tautonym.

I thought I might have found one in Apus apus, since the Apodiformes are named after it. Nope. Linnaeus thought it was a swallow and named it Hirundo apus.

1 Like

This may be an exception, no sources to prove it…:

Cygnus cygnus, the whooper swan

1 Like

It is difficult to find an exception…

Pipistrellus pipistrellus (hopefully not a duplicate, but I don’t think i saw it in the list…)

Just learnt: Vimba vimba

It’s a fish. :)

Anas cygnus? It doesn’t look like a duck, act like a duck, or quack like a duck.

4 Likes

When taxonomy started the whole families or family groups were included in one genus, genus wasn’t being seen as it is now, anything anatydae was good enough for Anas, the same way many species were moved out of it in the last years.

3 Likes

In addition to Spinus spinus, already mentioned, there’s also Spinus pinus which if said quickly sounds like a tautonym

4 Likes

So funny :rofl:

1 Like