Local knowledge

Hello worthy observers and invaluable id -ers.
Is there a way of filtering Top Identifiers by country? I know I can click on the ones (up to 10) listed to read profiles but am wondering if there’s an easier (lazier) path to their doors? In my ideal world I could find Top Identifiers of Australian obs - maybe even South Australian ones.
Thank you :)

4 Likes

Sure you can! If you go to main explore page and choose (betteer in filters) location – country, and then you can see tabs for [observations]-[species]-[experts] (or iders, can’t check how they’re called in English version as iNat is down)-[observers], experts are shown only for filtered obs and listed by numbers of ids made for them. If you need South Australia only you’ll need to look up if there’s a place made for it or check separate states or maybe check if there’s a project for that region, you can use projects as start points for search.

4 Likes

You can also view the observations in Map view, zoom to your area of interest, search within the map area (orange button), then click the Identifiers tab.

4 Likes

Bonus points when you have used iNat for a while - you recognise the good people to ask. The ones who know, and are willing to kindly share their knowledge. Which stays in the comments and we all benefit in future.
Thanks @hfb for solving marine biology mysteries

3 Likes

@Wattlebird
I hope I didn’t put you off tagging others!
Here is a link to the identifier list for South Australia for spiders, but you can change the taxa branch to the one (and level) that you are wanting help with.
https://inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6899&taxon_id=47118&view=identifiers

2 Likes

big thank you for that comprehensive solution- i’ll give it a go :)

1 Like

ah - that sounds like something i can manage - much appreciated

very true diana - generous and knowledgeable people

1 Like

haha - no, but my tagging you did prompt the question, for which i am glad

ps - and thank you for the link, very kind

Thank you all - I was able to find the list of identifiers and, by following Mark’s link, could see how it works by taxa/level. Oh I do love a happy ending - and this terrific, supportive community. Cheers.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.