Location not transferring into app from photo metadata

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Android

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): 1.29.5 (579)

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) :

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: I take a photo using my Google Pixel 6a.

Step 2: I crop the photo using Google photos.

Step 3: when I have wifi again, I upload my photos to the iNaturalist app.

Step 4: I notice the location info hasn’t auto filled, so I check the image metadata to make sure it has a location.

Step 5: I try to match the location as best I can in the app.

Step 6: I logout of my account, uninstall the app, and reinstall the app.

Step 7: everything is as it was. No location data. I am sad because I took so many photos while camping and I want to iNaturalize them.

I’m not an expert on this, but I know that sometimes it can help if you post a photo that triggers the issue in a public repository so that others can test/look at it to assess the problem, so you could try posting a link like that here.

You could also try posting the photo via the Web Uploader and seeing if it works there as this might help narrow down the issue.

this probably touches on the same issue as https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/android-app-not-reading-picture-location-data/37908. you can look at that thread to see if some of the workarounds there will work until the app can be changed to handle the issue.

This worked for me. Select the 3 dots, click browse and the familiar gallery selection window comes up and does in fact add the location data.

2 Likes

This is what I have been doing as well to get past this issue. Some change in Androids new photo picker has broken the meta data but if you use the old picker “via browse” it works. However, seems to only work on single photos. Doing multiple even with the browse trick still fails.

Closing this to focus discussion on the existing bug report.