Location blank for Geolocated Photos

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): android

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings): 1.19.8 (430)

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) :

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): adding a geolocated photo into the app. Occasionally, no location data appears. I delete, try again, same result often.

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Please fill out the steps section of the bug report, it’s pretty crucial here. If you are sharing from your phone’s gallery to iNaturalist, gps data generally isn’t included. Try opening iNat and importing the photo(s) from within the app.

2 Likes

I used to take photos inside the app, but I like to be able to share photos so now I take a pic on my phone and import from my gallery. Each time I did this until this week, location data migrated along with the photos. I have tried a force stop of the app, restarted my phone, deleted and reinstalled the app, but no solution has worked.

1 Like

Well, the best way to bring photos into iNat is to start in the iNat app, then import photos from there. GPS data isn’t always shared when you share from your gallery to iNat (or other apps).

Are you certain your photos have GPS data and not estimated locations? Are your photos being backed up to a cloud service?

1 Like

The only way I know to bring photos into iNat is to star in the iNat app, then import photos from there. When I look at the photos in my phone’s gallery, there are precise lat/lon coordinates. All of my observations that are mapped on the iNat website demonstrate this. All photos are backed up to the cloud.

2 Likes

I post everything from the phone gallery and the location is always added now, I wonder if there is something more of a reason why it is not included sometimes?

1 Like

[quote=“tubbfan, post:3, topic:14411, full:true”]
I have tried a force stop of the app, restarted my phone[/quote] If the Android iNaturalist app does not import the location of the photos anymore restarting the Android iNaturalist app or the photo solves the issue for me.

The different terminology used in different posts seems to be confusing the issue.

If I open an image in the Gallery app on my Android phone and use the “share” option to push it to the iNaturalist app, the location metadata is lost.

If I open the iNaturalist app and add an observation using the “choose image” option, the location metadata is kept.

2 Likes

Is there a different option of “sharing”? That’s what I do and as you can see the location is kept.

Is that on an Android phone?

Yes, it is.