Macroscopic fungi outside the basidiomycetes and ascomycetes?

After reading @lynkos’ thread - “Layman’s guide to fungus orders/families” - I’ve been wondering if there are many fungi that are evident outside of a microscopic view that arent either the basidiomycetes and ascomycetes. I had a little look at the other divisions of fungi and I’ve found a couple interesting examples already.

Are there some atypical moulds and rusts? Do other groups of fungi form lichens? Are there are many macroscopic fungi outside the basidiomycetes and ascomycetes? I can’t seem to find anything for this question online without crawling through fungi taxonomy and looking up random names.

2 Likes

One prominent example of fungi that can be seen without a microscope that aren’t in the phylums of basidiomycetes or ascomycetes (at least in the iNat taxonomy) are the pin molds.

1 Like

Fungi from many groups form colonies, coatings, lesions, etc. that are visible to the average naked eye. Often these are a single genetic individual. But by macroscopic, I assume you mean that it has to be a single physiological individual that can be seen in normal lighting by average unaided human eyes? By those criteria, many molds are macroscopic, for example in Mucoromycota. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&taxon_id=1094433

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.