Make users more aware of the accuracy field when uploading observations through the web interface

welcome to the community.

i’m not against educating people about the positional accuracy field. that said, what you’re describing here seems like the wrong workflow because it’s more about collection than education. and from a collection perspective, it’s not ideal either because by the time a user sees the proposed indicators, it’s really too late to provide a positional accuracy value that’s anything other than a guess.

frankly, i think the importance of capturing positional accuracy is overstated. if you capture it, that’s fine, but if you don’t capture it, that doesn’t necessarily mean the location data is necessarily worse or unusable. there’s so much variability in how positional accuracy data is captured. there’s no guarantee it will be reliable, nor that the same value captured in 2 observations will necessarily mean the same thing (due to different collection methods). i suspect folks who rely on that value directly (or on the presence of that value) to do data analysis may not really understand the subtleties of that data point.

here are a couple of posts i’ve made in other threads that provide a little more detail about what i’m talking about:

3 Likes