Use all modes of phone's camera

my point is simply that “more accurate” is debatable depending on how you’re defining it. “more verifiable” might be a better description of what you get from the iNat app.

you and melodi_96 were debating different methods to determine a location and accuracy value. you’re both letting the phone determine the location, but in slightly different ways. and you’re letting the app / phone determine the accuracy value, while melodi_96 is assigning one manually after the fact.

my point is that with your method, you’re theoretically getting 68% confidence that the true location is within that accuracy circle; while melodi_96 might actually be getting a higher percentage of her true locations actually falling within her manually defined 10m accuracy circles – because her locations are potentially determined based on more samples than what the iNat app will get you. that said, it’s not possible to say for sure whether she is effectively getting better locations or not without actually doing some sort of rigorous comparison.

from my own experience, i think the point locations recorded in EXIF in my phone’s camera app are more consistently true than what the iNat app will provide.

i’m not saying either method is superior, just that there are pros and cons with each approach.

3 Likes