Managing mobile phone storage requirements for iNaturalist app

Hi-

I have about 1000 observations, nearly all made and uploaded from my little old iPhone SE. Storing these within the iNaturalist app on my phone is taking over 3 GB, which is a lot given that I only have a total of 16 GB, over half of which is taken up by the OS. If I make another 1000 observations in the next year, I’ll have to choose between getting rid of the iNaturalist app and getting a new phone (and a new clip-on macro lens too).

Has anyone else faced this problem? I’d like to know whether there is an existing way (or hack) to reduce the storage demands of the app (which I understand would necessarily mean that I wouldn’t be able to access all my photos while in “airplane mode”) before I think about submitting this as a feature request.

Thanks!
James

3 Likes

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/inaturalist-using-lots-of-storage-on-iphone/3316/3 check out that thread. perhaps that helps some

3 Likes

If you logout and log back in to the app, this will clear the app’s cache and reduce the space being used

6 Likes

Thanks very much!

1 Like

Thanks! It worked perfectly, and the app also updates faster now.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.