Data Storage on My Phone

I’ve discovered that the INaturalist App is storing 9 gigabytes of data on my phone. If I remove it from my phone, will it affect or delete what I’ve uploaded to the website?

Please help! My phone is almost full.

Many thanks!

2 Likes

Upload everything to the website. Logout and login. Does it help?
If not, look around on the forum [ or reboot your iPhone]

2 Likes

I always upload everything to the website as i take the pictures. All 1300 of my observations are already up on the website. I just want to make sure getting the observations off my phone won’t get them off the website too. Many thanks!
R

So i just logged out and back in again and the 9gb are still on my phone.

R

I had the same “problem” on my iPhone. Seems that the iNat app on iPhone saves every of your identifications plus thumbnails of them plus pics of things you look at in the app (other identifications in projects/groups) constantly in the cache of the app. Once I logged out, rebooted my phone, logged in again and everything was fine / cache was clear but started to “fill” after some days/weeks of use. Usually it works fine too, if I just log out, close the app without reboot of the phone and log in again.

4 Likes

Excellent! Trying now.

R

1 Like

Didn’t work! I logged out, rebooted the phone, logged back in again, and the 9GB of stored data were still in there.

Can you share a screenshot of your app storage settings screen?
e.g.

1 Like

Correction! it worked!

4 Likes

This happens on my iPhone as well - I just end up deleting the app and reinstalling every few months or so and that seems to free up the space without affecting any of my observations or IDs.

4 Likes

I had a similar issue using the iNaturalist app on my iPad (over 20 GByte used). I deleted the app and then reinstalled like @conboy did. I had no loss of observations or other information.

1 Like

Signing out of the app and signing back in should clear the cache, you shouldn’t need to delete the app.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @mister_bumble!

Unfortunately, it also appears to limit the observations accessible through the app to the last 6 months, with no way to force load older ones. It also wipes clean the activity log. it would be nice to have a way to clear the app of viewed data first, and resort to scrubbing my own data second.

Which app are you using, Android or iOS?

iOS (extra characters to reach at least 5 so I can post)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.