iNaturalist using lots of storage on iPhone

The iNaturalist app is using an incredible amount of storage space on my iPhone. I am wondering if I set it up incorrectly or if there’s a way to make it less.

App Size: 21.1 MB
Documents & Data 3.29 GB

(I’ve removed all the photos from my camera…so I don’t know why “Documents & Data” is so high.

The two options my phone gives me are:

1. Offload App. But if I do that won’t it be difficult to re-intsall it when I need it?

2. Delete App. I don’t want to do this, either…

Thanks,

Elaine

2 Likes

This came up a while ago in a discussion. Someone said log out and log in again, and that clears the cache. I don’t know exactly why that happens, whether it is keeping copies of what it submits (independent of photos on your photo roll) or what, but try that.

3 Likes

It is to do with how the app “caches” observations on your phone. The list of observations shown is generated from when iNat app connects to the network and “refreshes” the list (saving a copy of every observation involved). But the app also seems to save a copy of any observation you upload, as you will notice the “documents & data” size will rise according to the size of the photos you had uploaded with observations.

Logging out and back in will clear the cache and lower the app size back to its usual amount.

5 Likes

I’ll try and see if we can get a dedicated in-app tool for this.

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion but I’m a little iphone dense. How do I log out of the app on my phone?

When you’re on your Me tab (which lists your observations) tap on the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. You’ll be taken to your Settings screen, and you’ll see an option to sign out near the top.

4 Likes

Yea!!! So happy I remembered this thread was here…doing this just made my fretting stop. thanks @tiwane, @elainede

1 Like

Thank you! That did the trick!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.