Merry Gerald Day (2024)

Merry Gerald Day everyone! April 17 is Gerald Day, the anniversary of the day our favorite (probable) muskrat was uploaded to iNat. At this point, sharing poetry about our zibethican friend has become an annual tradition, and we should do that here to avoid spamming Gerald’s original observation. And other Gerald-related content is welcome here, as well.

24 Likes

If you’re not familiar with Gerald, this is where you should start: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/5890862

3 Likes

don’t click the link if you’ve got a slow computer or internet connection, Gerald is too much for many to handle.

35 Likes

I saw that… and really had to consider if I even wanted to see because I fell for that ONCE!
Ok…
Merry Gerald Day!
And no I didn’t check on him ever again.

4 Likes

Gerald is so powerful he can break your computer with his mind.

15 Likes

Wow the fields have really expanded since i last looked, haha

4 Likes

this is the first time I’ve actually seen Gerald’s observation and wow that was an experience

7 Likes

If you enjoyed Gerald, you (and others) might also want to look at its cousins in this project.

https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/geralds-of-the-world

5 Likes

Yes, certainly nobody would like to even think of doing that.

Merry Gerald Day!

5 Likes

Merry Gerald Day!

I haven’t visited his observation in over a year! Gerald’s power scares me

5 Likes

Gerald probably needs its own inat server for the day any time someone mentions it in the forum

4 Likes

Gerald is so vast he needs to be taxonomically split into several genera.

13 Likes

The wind from the north
A leaf falls
The sunset and the flowers
Gerald smiles in a cloud

a small haiku Gerald give to me in a dream

4 Likes

Im the only one who can not comment on Gerald observation?
also

24 Likes

There seems to be an issue where for some people, new comments do not appear on Gerald’s page. They are posted there, I still get notifications, but I can only see them through my home page. My own comments act this same way. Maybe it’s worth making a bug report for. I’ll wait until the festivities die down a bit though in a few days.

1 Like

There once was a muskrat named Gerald
Who by many false IDs was imperiled
Of being called a groundhog
Until the others came, pog
And gave him the badge of emerald

12 Likes

It seems that for a normal observation it takes maybe 5 seconds for inats servers to process an update to the observation. I dare not gaze into medusa’s eyes, but… I guess gerald is somewhere in the ballpark of 500-1000 times as large as a typical observation? And 41 people have clicked your link today? So… Maybe check back in one to two days to see if the servers have finished processing your comments?

4 Likes

same here. I also couldn’t add the important “Evidence of Presence”-Annotation: Hair. Was a bit worried that Gerald might not be in mood to accept new praises.

6 Likes

Bless this our internet connection our daily gerald, may he bring us protection and peace

1 Like

All hail Gerald lord of all life that came before and will come after, the great and mighty Gerald will lead our insolent minds to a place of infinite cheese and wonder!!!